Instinct

A sun-kissed head of curls and a mischievous smile greet me in the Old Way, cheek to cheek, with a high pitched squeal. She embraces me to her ample chest and I can smell how excited she is, practically jumping out of her skin.

"I can't wait to show you around. We won't go far today, just a little walk around." She hands me a sandwich, the bread so fresh, its yeasty smell makes my stomach rumble loudly with excitement. Heading out the back door, I take a huge bite, not caring about manners.

As we stand on the crest of a hill, we look down a worn path grooved by many feet, and proceed down the terrain to a warehouse, with a tin roof and grey exterior.

"This is our training facility." Sophie opens the door to a quiet, dark interior. "The males train twice a day and the females once, usually in the afternoon, after lunch."

Swallowing the last bite of my sandwich, turning to her. "Thanks, Sophie, for doing this. I know I put you in an awkward position with the Alpha."

"Are you kidding me? I'm so thankful you asked!" She says, giving me a sincere smile. "Okay, over here is where we have all our Ceremonies and pack meetings. It's just a really big hall."

She is right about the grey building with a steep roof.

Pointing her finger towards a red barn with a high, black roof, she says, "That's where we keep some of the animals. We have cattle and chickens."

"Mmm, I could go for some chicken wings. Oh, and pizza with pop." I rub my stomach and laugh. "Sorry, it's been so long without the things I love, I just...when you said chicken I thought...wings. I've been craving for certain things."

Her head tilts slightly with a nod. She's so still, I can tell she's linking with someone, so I just turn my head to give her privacy.

Clapping her hands together like a job well done, she says, "Okay, let's get you back. This is pretty much it. When you feel stronger, I'll show you around the territory."

"I'd like that, thanks again." My legs start to burn with the exertion of climbing the side of the hill. Stopping at the top, I turn around and take in the scenery. "Would you mind if I just stayed here a little while by myself?"

"Oh, okay. If you need anything, just yell."

I nod my head to her. Watching her leave, I take in all I can see.

The view here is heavenly, the late autumn leaves littering the forest floor with hues of oranges, yellow, and red, leaving a kaleidoscope of colors.

Some of the trees are already barren, solid old limbs reaching skyward, trying to touch the clouds. Imposingly big, the forest feels untamed, feral, untouched by man.

It's tranquil here, not a breeze to be felt...peaceful.

Feeling the Northerner's presence behind me, impossibly close. His body heat is pressing against my back. Leaning in close to my ear so his chest is firmly pressed into my back, his strong fingers grip my arms, holding me in place.

"Beautiful, isn't it?" That deep voice says in my ear.

The huskiness of his growl vibrating into my chest does interesting things to me. It makes my bottom press firmly against him, causing my back to arch up. The soft curve of my neck angles towards his mouth, showing my unmarked skin. It's instinct that drives my body to react him that way.

An instinchat causes a soul-craving, mouth-watering hunger to come over me.

Firm fingers press harder into my flesh as he pulls me closer to him. No space left between us, I can feel his unabashed want for me. His breathing is coming out in hot puffs, fanning across my head. I could get lost in this feeling. Sensations settle into my mind, hampering my judgment, my decision-making ability.

Wet lips touch the base of my neck, tasting my flesh, and he splays his strong fingers across my belly. Both my hands rise above my head, entangling in his hair, trying to bring his lips closer to where his mark should go. Trembling from his touch, as his body shakes with need. I could almost taste the desire pouring out of him. A sweet masculine spice that has me wanting to run my tongue over his throat. My eyes close in bliss as his other hand travels the lenght of my ribs. My legs wobble with the effort of standing. Teeth graze the sensitive spot at the base of my neck and in this moment, it's all I want.

It's basic instinct driving my behavior, instinct making me angle my neck, exposing myself more to him.

His mouth pulls my skin greedily into his mouth, sucking the flesh harshly, bringing the blood to the surface. The sounds coming from deep within my throat are animalistic, foreign to my ears.

Forcefully, I've shoved away, landing a few feet away on my stomach. Turning around, I watch as he unclenches his fists, covering his eyes, lowering his head.

"You need to leave."

I don't wait to be told again. Picking myself off the ground, the magic now, gone. Running like a gazelle into the house, to the safety of my room. Locking the door, I run into the bathroom and look at my neck. There are no teeth marks, but a deep red hickey is left. A reminder to how close I came to being marked.

It leaves me unnerved, how my natural instincts just took over, like a compulsion, driving my urges on. I wasn't prepared for my female nature to surge forward like that from his mere voice.

He's left me with an unsatisfied hunger that needs to be sated.

Splashing water on my face, trying to calm myself down, I hold the side of the counter and take in slow long breaths trying to relax.

There's a knock at the door telling me food's here, and with that, I perk up. I need to eat since I only had a sandwich for lunch.

I'm starving.

Arranging my hair over my reddened neck, I take big steps, anxious to be fed.