Reckoning

"Brother..." My voice cracks as I struggle to get the next words out.

"Meela, are you okay? I've been calling and calling, but Grey wouldn't let me talk to you."

I can't even speak as sobs start in the back of my throat. Closing my eyes shut, trying to stop the tears, I grip the phone tight in my shaking hand.

"Meela, what's going on? You're scaring me... Meela, say something!"

"I can't do this... I can't be..." Another sob breaks free from me. "I can't; I'm so sorry."

"Meela, if you come back, our land is gone. He'll take everything. You'll have nowhere to come back to."

Big fat tears fall from my weeping eyes, splashing on my shirt, soaking the fabric. I bring the sleeve to my nose and wipe at my face.

"I'm getting branded this evening." I'm hardly able to get the words out; they feel so tight in my throat.

"That's what's suppose to happen. All females take their mates brand, Meela."

"I'm being challenged for Luna after."

There's a sharp intake of breath on the other end. "Why didn't you tell me this before?"

"I only found out about it last night. He doesn't think I can beat her."

Nothing but my heavy breathing is heard on the phone....silence.

"Meela, what's her rank?"

"None that I can tell, but he says she's the best female fighter they have."

"Meela, you're naturally stronger than her. Use that to your advantage. Also, don't hesitate. Attack first, go in quickly, don't hold back....finish her. Your wolf and her wolf will know you're dominant. Get into fighting form as soon as you think the fight will start. Don't stay in skin form. If you do, then you'll be on level ground." He takes on a desperate tone. "Remember all our training. Attack her as you attacked me when we were training to bring the bear down. You take the point and don't let go of that neck until your teeth come together."

I remember all the training, all his ear pinching until I got it right.

"Meela, I love you! I could've never asked for a braver sister. I have faith in you."

I cry into the phone; I cry out everything I have. He patiently listens until I can't cry any longer.

"Do you feel better?"

A little hiccup escapes. "Yah, I just... needed to talk to someone who cares about me, who cares if I..."

"Don't say it, Meela. You're going to be fine. You always are."

"I love you." My voice cracks. "I just wanted you to know..." I can barely get the words out. "I love you."

"I love you too, Meela. Call me after everything's finished."

"Okay... I love you." I turn off my phone and throw it against the wall.

"Meela."

"Go away, Northerner, I'm not in the mood for you." I don't look at him. Instead, I give him my back in disrespect.

"Meela, look at me." The bed dips with his weight.

"Why don't you go away? I have nothing to say to you." I'm feeling hurt, annoyed by him.

My wolf is pacing in my head, agitated because of him. She wants another go at him for his behavior towards me. I need to restrain her.

"I brought you lunch." He holds the plate up, but I swat it away.