Whiskey, Whiskey, Whiskey

Food and sleep.

That's what the last few days have been for me.

Shoveling any and all food in my mouth, then resting. I've been putting on weight steadily, filling out my skeletal frame.

The red, raw ring the collar ingrained in my skin is lightening to a pale pink, only slightly visible.

My energy levels are returning, so I'm able to do a lot more things.

The Northerner's been keeping his distance since the incident on the hill. I don't think he can trust himself around me. I can sense him watching me throughout the day and I feel his eyes on me in the dark, when I lay awake in bed.

Sitting comfortably on an overstuffed chair, my legs tucked up underneath me, Iistening to the close group of high ranking pack members as they argue about what movie to watch.

Chuckling to myself, they all look so imposing on the battlefield, but in this house, they act more like children, bickering constantly with each other.

The Northerner saunters in, turning his phone off, looking relieved. "It's done." He's talking more to the group than me. "Thomas will be home soon. I think we should go out, and celebrate."

Voices of agreement is heard all around.

"I say pizza and wings in town!" Sophie shouts out.

My ears perk up. I've been craving pizza. Sophie gives me a wink, with a knowing smile.

"So everything's settled regarding the transfer of land? Thomas doesn't have to leave anymore?" Sophie's hands are wringing in worry.

The Northerner nods his head. "He'll be home for a while."

Sophie's so happy, her face flooded with relief.

"What land transfer?" I'm afraid what he's going to say, and a tightness grips my stomach.

"Your brother settled his debt with us."

"How much of my pack land did you take?" My breathing comes out in fast puffs. We were a small pack with barely enough as it was. This could devastate us.

He steps closer to me. "Your former pack," he spits out, "has agreed to transfer one-third of their lands to your new pack."

Sucking in a breath. "I thought you said if I came with you, you wouldn't take our land."

His body stiffened slightly. "No, I said I wouldn't take all your land. We were still owed a payment. I think it was a very fair price, considering our losses."

I'm too stunned to think. My brother lost a third of his land...

"The alternative? Your old--" he stressed the word old. "—pack would've been wiped out without our assistance. Your brother knew what would happen."

His hands take my cheeks firmly, angling my head up to face him. "This is the way it's done. You know this. My pack expects land in return for lives."

Of course, I understand all this, it's been done for centuries, but I still can't help feeling sorry for my brother.

As I whisper "pack before family", he nods his head in agreement.

"I'll need to call my brother."

"When we come back from town." Taking my hand, he leads me out the door and to his truck.

Sophie's outside with her body wrapped around an unknown male, clinging to him like she's afraid to let go. Her legs are wrapped around him, while he grips her backside and they're kissing passionately, like long lost lovers.