Chapter 3: Auditions

WARNING: This chapter (and the ones to follow) will have many Rent spoilers. You have been warned.

Also: The video at the top is Michael's audition music. All rights reserved to Rent: The Movie and Rent: The Musical.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

     Christine was waiting outside for us when we got back to school. As we were walking up, it looked clearer to me that she was not happy with us.

     Jeremy gave her a small wave and said, "Hey, babe! How're you?"

     She rolled her eyes and scoffed, "I'm greeeeeeeat. Yeah, especially since my audition partner made it late to AUDITIONS!" She stomped her foot, frustrated.

     I don't know where I was during the day, but when Jeremy took her up in his arms and kissed her, that definitely snapped me back into reality. No matter how much time I spend with him, Jeremy will always want to be with Christine.

     "Sorry, Chrissy. It won't happen again," He smiled at her.

     She blushed lightly and giggled, "Fine. But you owe me a movie!"

     "What?!" He asked, surprised. They both began to laugh and walk inside.

     I must've been standing in the middle of the parking lot, because Christine turned around, starting to pull me in. "Come on! You said you would audition too!"

     I smirked, "I don't know. I might blow everyone away with my incredible singing voice."

     "Is that a challenge, bud? You know how good I am at singing," Jeremy bragged, raising an eyebrow.

     "Oh Jeremy," I sighed, patting his back and beginning to walk towards the school, "Always loving some competition. Whether in video games, or singing. And just like every other time... I will beat you!"

                                            ~^*^~

     Jeremy and Christine were called on stage to sing. While we were waiting for our turns, they told me they would sing "Seasons of Love" from the musical. Now, I've heard the musical's soundtrack a couple times, so I knew what song to sing. It's just... I haven't sung it. Ever.

     As the two began to sing, I tried to focus on Jeremy, but Christine, like always, was the life of the stage. She completely took control of the stage, and Jeremy was just a little blip. But I did not even look at Christine, all of my focus was on him.

     When you close your eyes to listen, Jeremy's voice stands out against all odds. His voice was genuine and soft and... beautiful.

     When they got off stage, Jeremy sat next to me, and Christine in front of us. Ehe turned to us, smiling. "So," she directed to me, "What did you think?"

     I smiled, "You guys were great. Christine totally made the stage alive."

     Jeremy looked at me expectantly. "Yeah, you were pretty good too." He lightly pushed me and smiled.

     "Thank you so much! That's so sweet of you to say!"

     "Well, I only speak the truth!" I proudly said before Christine turned around.

     Jeremy nudged me in the arm, "Sure you are," he mumbled while looking at the next person on stage. I chuckled.

Still my old Jeremy.

                                            ~^*^~

     When my name was called, I looked at Jeremy. He could tell I was nervous. No matter how much of a face I pull off in front of people, standing alone on a stage, it's scary as all hell. He smiled, placing a hand on my shoulder. "You got this. You're Michael Mell, remember?"

     I smiled, taking his hand from my shoulder into my hand. I make a half-smile and whisper in his ear, "You don't watch me, you'll miss the show."

     He giggled a little smiled at me, "Come on, go go!" He pushed me off my seat, and I was off to the stage.

     When I was front and center, I began to stutter, "H-Hello. My n-name is-s Michael M-Mell. I'll be s-s-singing 'I'll Cover You' sung b-by Tom Col-llins at Ang-gel's Funeral."

     Now, about five other guys have already sung this song, and everyone groaned in pain, even Mr. Ace, our drama teacher. He twirled his finger as if telling me to start.

     I cleared my throat, and begin to sing the first few words. "L-live in my house..." I gulp, "I'll b-be your shel-lter..." I look down, "Just pay me back with one thousand kisses."

     Michael, calm down! You got this. "Be my... lover..." Somehow, I hit the low note. How it is possible, I have no idea, but it definitely brought Mr. Ace into attention, so I continue.

     "And I'll cover youuu..." By this moment, everyone's head is turned to me. It's scary... So I decided to look to Jeremy for comfort.

     But what I see is heart breaking. Christine has replaced me in the seat I had sat in just moments before, and Jeremy's arm is around her. She smiles at me, happy and nodding, telling me to go on.

     Jeremy stares at me, mesmerized. We lock eyes. He always had beautiful blue eyes that would shoot through you. He's beautiful. "Open your door. I'll be your tenant," I continue, refusing to look away form him. "Don't got much baggage to lay at your feet..."

     He smiles at me, but Christine pokes him, whispering something into his ear. It breaks our eye contact. My heart starts to beat faster and I close my eyes. "But sweet kisses I got to spare! I'll be there, and I'll cover you."

     Tears started to well into my eyes as they began to have a conversation about me. I knew it was about me because they continued to point. Not bad pointing, I suppose, but they were still talking about me.

     He'll never love you... A voice whispered in my head, He has Christine now, and that's all he'll ever need. I couldn't stop some warm tears flow out of my eyes, but I continued, "I think they meant it when they said you can't buy love... Now I know you can't rent it," Jeremy's focus was back on me, but the tears did not stop. I couldn't stop them. "A new lease you are my love, One life, all my life-"

     "STOP!" Mr. Ace yelled. He took a tissue from the box he propped next to him earlier. "That... was beautiful...!"

     I wiped some tears from my eyes, paralyzed from his reaction, "R-Really?"

     "The emotion, your vocal range! It was the most beautiful voice I've heard all day!" Everyone began to cheer in the seats.

     I said thank you and did a quick bow, getting off the stage and going to the bathroom to check my face.

     At that point, I didn't care how I sounded, all I cared about was Jeremy... And how I'll never have him. 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Yes, I did make Michael have a beautiful voice. I mean just LISTEN TO MICHAEL IN THE BATHROOM!! AGH I CAN'T WITH THIS MUSICAL ANYMORE!!