Chapter 20: Who Did This

I didn't really hear the question he asked because he was so muffled into my shirt.

He wrapped his arms around me tightly, making me fall onto the white, firm hospital bed. I quickly hugged him back, tears already welling up. I felt him nuzzle into the crook of my neck, which I didn't mind at all. I missed feeling his arms, his heartbeat, his hair... His hair.

I look up to his hair. It's unwinded, tangled, and curlier. You could tell he was tugging at it. I slowly move my hand from his back up to his hair to fiddle with it, whispering, "You know, if you keep pulling your hair, you're gonna go bald."

"Shut up, stupid!" He laughed in my arms. I felt warm tears run down his cheeks and onto my shoulders, holding him close to me. I winced at the pain when he pulled me in closer.

I had forgotten why I was in a hospital in the first place! That gang... who were they? I can't remember anything from that morning.

Wait.

How long have I been in here for?

"Two days," He replied, "You've been unconscious for two days." Was I talking aloud?

"T-Two days?" I questioned, "How is that even possible?"

Jeremy let go of me, sitting at the side of the bed. He sighed, wiping away the few tears still smeared on his face. I looked at his body. His clothes were tattered and wrinkled. He had wet stains on his jeans, probably from tears.

"No one knows what happened," He started, voice noticeably scratched, "But there were cuts and bruises all over your body. The doctors said that some of the bruises went down to the bone."

I stared at him, wide eyed. Was it that bad? I never even realized.

"We were lucky that Rich found you in time!" He exclaimed, nervously laughing. He obviously wanted the mood to settle. I tried to lift my hand to his, but I winced, realizing the cast around it.

Jeremy jerked up when he heard me, darting his eyes across the bed to find out why I made the noise. When his eyes came to the cast around my arm, he sighed, gently placing his hand on top of my broken one.

"Well, now I definitely feel like a character from 'Dear Evan Hansen'." I laughed--making Jeremy chuckle as well. He lay down next to me, and I cuddled into him.

He moved my head to face his, and we slowly pressed our lips together. His were chapped, but warm.

When I pulled away, Jeremy smiled, pulling some of my hair behind my ear and kissing my cheek. "I'm just glad you're okay, Michael. Well..." he hesitated, trying to find better words, "Alive, I guess."

Smiling, I giggled a little. It made Jeremy blush a little, watching me laugh. "Have you been waiting for me to wake up, Jer?" I smirked, raising an eyebrow.

His face turned a crimson, looking away. "...yes," he muttered under his breath. I laughed loudly, snuggling into him closer. "I thought I was going to lose you. I didn't know how bad it was, and they didn't let me stay after visiting hours. Any time I could come to check on you, I would."

I felt my cheeks heat up. I smiled wide, knowing how much he cared.

He looked up at the ceiling, more serious face emerging. "Now. Who did this to you? Tell me. I need to know."

I sighed, looking down, "I-I don't remember..."

"Michael..." He looked back at me, holding me closer. "You don't remember anything?"

I bit my lips, trying to think hard on who hurt me this much. "I-It wasn't just one person, I think... It was a gang I think. They all wore jackets? Yes. Black jackets."

I looked to Jeremy, who was trying to take all this into memory. I think I stopped for a second, because, he looked up to me and asked, "Is there anything else, love?"

My heart jumped at the word. "Love". That was his name for me, and needlessly to say, I love it. I thought more, trying to not relive the horrid memory while attempting to remember the faces who put me in this state. "They had a leader!"

His eyes shot open, "What did that leader look like?"

I was shooting description as fast as I could, "He was tall! Like your height. And his eyes were an evil green and he was white... uh, uh..." I sighed, "I can't remember anything else..."

I looked at his figure, which was breathing heavily. "A-Are you ok-"

"What was his hair like?" He interrupted, his voice deeper now.

I gulped, a little afraid, but knowing that he just wants to protect me. "H-His hair was... dusty...? I think?" Jeremy sat up on the bedside. "Jer, you okay?"

"Mickie." He stated. I tilted my head in question. "Mickie Canigula. Christine's brother."

I stared at him, blankly. Slowly turning into a chuckle. "W-What's so funny?" Jeremy asked, looking behind him to me.

"I-It's just... They can't be siblings! They look nothing alike!"

He looked at me, deadpan. It made me stop laughing. I wasn't going to question it anymore. Jeremy got up quickly, kissing me atop the head and heading for the door. "Wait! Where are you going?" I asked, louder than I should have.

He stopped in his tracks, looking back to me and smiling. "I'm going to make things right."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Hey guys... 

I'm so sorry. I promised forever ago you'd have a new chapter, but I didn't do it. I broke a promise and I'm so sorry. I didn't realize sophomore year would be so difficult and time-consuming. I want to give you guys the best content I can, but it's so hard nowadays. I promise I'll keep updating! Just, you guys are gonna have to bear with me for the next month or two, okay? I just need to get used to school again. 

Next chapter will be focused around Jeremy! We haven't had one of those since... The Patch? Wow, that feels like forever ago...Anyways. I'll talk to you all later!

Stay fabulous!

Love,

SymphonyInViolet