Chapter 12

Over the next couple of weeks Clarke spent most of her days with her father, she wanted to be with him for as long as possible, he did only have just over three months left to live.

Jake was up and walking around, which was a surprise. They thought that the medicine would just keep him alive, they didn't think that it would actually allow him to live. He was back to normal but they all walked on eggshells around him, they didn't want him to get sick again.

Clarke was sitting by her fathers bed, watching him sleep. It wouldn't be long until she never saw her fathers face again. She could only hope that she didn't forget what he looked like, how he talked, his smile.

A tear fell from her eyes, she didn't want to lose her father. She was only 18, she didn't know how she would survive without him.

It had been a close call those few weeks ago, but luckily Bellamy saved the day by bringing home the medicine. Clarke was never more thankful for him than in that moment. That was when she realised that Bellamy wasn't like everyone else. He was special, and Clarke wanted to get to know him, more than anybody else did.

Clarke and Bellamy weren't shy with each other anymore either. They had had a few memorable nights since that first time, but they didn't show any affection for each other when they were in public. They only kissed behind their closed bedroom doors. Clarke knew that her mom was a bit suspicious about the extent of their relationship. She hadn't had 'the talk' with her mother yet either, Clarke knew that her mother would be somewhat glad that she had lost her virginity to Bellamy.

Clarke knew that her mother wanted to tell her to get a wriggle on with having a baby, but she just couldn't bring herself to say anything. Clarke knew that she wasn't going to birth a baby by the time her father died, it was impossible, thats why they were keeping the kings condition a secret. God forbid what would happen if the other clans found out about how sick the king was, with the kingdom vulnerable, they would most likely attack. That wouldn't be good for anyone.

Clarke was pulled from her thoughts as she heard the door open, her mother walked in, smiling at Jakes sleeping form.

"How long has he been out?" Abby whispered to Clarke.

Clarke shrugged as she looked at her father. "Probably an hour or two, whys that?"

"No reason, he just needs his sleep. Come for a walk with me? I would say lets go to the gardens but it's far to cold outside," Abby offered as she held her hand out to Clarke. "I could use the company."

Clarke narrowed her eyes at her mothers offer, she knew that her mother wanted to say something to her. Clarke nodded and then took her mothers hand.

They walked through the almost empty halls of the building. Clarke shivered every time they walked past a window, it was getting colder and colder by the day. Soon they wouldn't even be able to have the doors and windows to the building open.

Clarke couldn't wait until spring time, it would be just the right temperature, not too cold and not too hot. Just the way she liked it.

She was always worried about Bellamy getting the flu because he worked in the cold almost all day. He patrolled the gates for most of the day and some nights, being exposed to all that coldness without warm clothes was bad. He always argued that he never got sick, even in the coldest of weather. Clarke just rolled her eyes telling him 'don't say i told you so'.

Abby stopped walking when they reached a small opening that overlooked the village. Clarke stood next to her, admiring the small place in front of her that she called home. She loved this place and the people in it, she wouldn't ask for anything more than what she had. It was perfect for her.

She was trying to spot Bellamy by the fences when her mother spoke, pulling her attention away from the village. "I've noticed that you and Bellamy have been getting a bit closer," Abby started.

Clarke almost rolled her eyes, she knew where this was going. "I guess you could say that."

"If you don't mind me asking, uh, has anything shifted in your relationship?"

"Shifted?" Clarke asked and Abby nodded. "Well i would say say that we can definitely tolerate each other a bit more," Clarke said as she met her mothers blue eyes.

"And why would that be?" Abby asked, trying to sound as unsuspicious as possible.

"Just ask mother, don't drag it out like this. It's literally killing me."

"Fine," Abby huffed. "Have you two had. . . Relations yet?"

"You mean sex?" Clarke blurted out. Abby's eyes widened, but she then nodded. Clarke sighed. "If you must know. . yes, we have."

Abby blushed and suddenly she couldn't meet her daughters eyes. "Well, that's all i wanted to know."

Clarke shook her head. "No it's not. You want to know everything. How many times, how long ago, have you bled since--"

"Oh dear, you know me too well for your own good," Abby said with a smile, which Clarke returned.

"Just so you know, doctor, we have a few times and I'm due to bleed tomorrow. If I don't i will for surely come to you," Clarke said as she went to walk away. She felt a bit awkward talking to her mother about such personal things, she'd never really done it before.

Abby grabbed her arm. "Wait. . . Please come to me if you do bleed as well. If you've had. . . relations multiple times without any protection method and you still happen to bleed, please come see me."

Clarke narrowed her eyes. "Why?"

"As you may know, your father and I had problems with having children, that's why you are an only child. It wouldn't be a surprise if the same thing happened to you."

Clarke felt her stomach drop. What would happen if she couldn't have kids? Who would there be to rule the kingdom? Could she have a family?

"O-okay, i will. . . Thanks mother, I'll come see you tomorrow," Clarke said and then walked towards her room.

What her mother had just told her hit her in the gut. Her worst fear would probably be not being able to have children. All Clarke ever wanted growing up was to have a family, it did not once come to her mind that she might not be able to.

Clarke and Bellamy lay silently in their bed that night, Clarke's head on his chest as he ran his fingers through her hair. She was going to tell him about what her mother had said to her earlier but she didn't want to worry him just incase it wasn't true. Maybe the gene didn't get passed down, maybe Clarke was lucky.

She fell asleep to the sound and movement of Bellamy breathing. It was probably the most comforting thing to Clarke now, she couldn't dream about falling asleep without him there.

Sure enough the next day she woke up to an empty bed and a small blood stain on the makeshift mattress. Clarke was going to have to make a trip to medical to see if what her mother said was true. She wasn't looking forward to it.

A/N- Thanks for voting and commenting, it means a lot to me💞