Chapter 23

It was two weeks before summer when Jake's medicine ran out. He didn't tell anyone, but when they noticed a drastic drop in his health, Abby went scavenging through his draws only to find an empty container— which was once full of medicine.

He had received two lectures from his wife and daughter that day, he was stuck in bed, almost unable to move. The women stopped pestering him about lying after Abby told Clarke that he only had a day or two left of life.

They both stayed by his side talking to each other, laughing, having fun and sharing the love that they had for each other in the last few hours of Jake's life.

Clarke hadn't told anyone about her pregnancy. She stuck to baggy clothes so that nobody saw her small bump that had she had started to notice more and more after she found out. At night, she spent her time in her room so that she could tell her baby stories. When Clarke was alone, her hands were practically glued to her stomach, still in awe at the fact that she was indeed pregnant. She didn't feel as lonely as she did, yes Bellamy wasn't there, but she literally had a piece of him with her everywhere she went, and that helped her get through it.

Bellamy didn't end up making it to Arkadia like Octavia had told her. Clarke wasn't surprised, but she also wasn't mad. She knew that if he could have, he would've done it in a heart beat.

She re-read the letter he had sent her probably 100 times each, carefully analysing each letter and each line of ink. Some people might have thought that she was crazy, and she was, crazy in love with the father of her child.

In Jake's last few hours, Clarke finally had enough courage to tell him that he was going to have an heir. Whether or not this child was a boy or a girl, she could have children and that meant that she would eventually birth a son.

He smiled the brightest smile when the words left her mouth and she pulled her big shirt over her head to reveal the tight singlet that she had on underneath to prove it.

Abby stood in the corner in awe, some part of Clarke thought that she would somewhat envy her daughter for being able to have children so easily, but Clarke saw nothing but happiness in her mothers eyes.

"How far along are you?" Abby asked as she walked towards her daughter and rested a hand on her bump.

"About three months, i found out a couple weeks ago.. when i went to get the medical supplies from Nandi, she told me that she could sense i was pregnant." Clarke put her hand on top of her mothers. "If father hadn't asked me to go there, I probably would have just thought that i was getting fat," she let out a giggle as she looked at her father.

He was still, his eyes closed, body limb. Clarke gasped as she ran over to him, a sob releasing from her mouth. Abby followed suit and checked for a pulse while Clarke tried to wake her father.

It was no use. Clarke fell into her mothers arms, sobbing loudly as she looked at her fathers lifeless body.

"I'm so sorry," Abby said as she cried with her daughter.

"He's gone," Clarke whispered as she hid her face in her mothers shirt.

They clung to each other like that for the rest of the day.