Heartbreaks Abound (Part 2)

HIDAN'S POINT OF VIEW

                       I decided to go look for Koneko when she's been gone more than an hour. She doesn't usually drag out bounties that are farther from home. I figure my safest bet with her and the kissing thing is to explain things with her when we get home. I'll drop it all for now. Koneko hates bringing fights into villages no matter what time it is so I pass through it toward the outskirts. Up ahead through the gloom I can hear shouting and the sounds of metal on metal. The figure closest to me is Koneko but the person she's fighting with is not her target. As I draw closer, I notice the target shaking on the ground a little ways behind Koneko's opponent. It's a taller woman with long dark hair. She looks vaguely familiar and also reminds me of Koneko with her weaponry and fluidity in fighting. Right, that must be her mother, that woman I threatened at the hot springs when we first came here. Why the hell is she attacking Koneko? I watch as my partner kicks her mother to the ground, then pins her with a sword. I can hear the woman speaking but I can't make out the words due to the distance. Koneko laughs a minute later before saying something in return. The woman pushes the sword out of the way and tries to get to her feet as Koneko swings with her other sword and yells, "You were a fucking coward!"

                 Swords forgotten, Koneko launches herself at her mother and I can feel the fury rolling off of her. I've never seen her this mad before, not even when dealing with Pein or when Deidara first brought her to us. This is almost a demonic sort of anger, and while I'd usually find something like that hot, I'm actually slightly fearful of her. As the women attack each other, I skirt the fight and pick up one of Koneko's swords and head toward the man. If I kill him then I can take Koneko away from here and hopefully calm her down. She'd mentioned wanting to ask her mother questions so I know she'd likely regret it if she killed her mother beforehand. The man cowers under me and opens his mouth, likely to scream or call attention, but I drive the metal straight through his chest and twist. I set about the task of removing his head as I keep my eye on Koneko and her mother. Both are bruised and bleeding but don't seem to be stopping anytime soon. I toss the head into a cloth bag before moving to the fight. I wait for the opportune time before plucking Koneko from the brawl and toss her over my shoulder.

"Let me go! I'm going to fucking murder that selfish bitch!" She screeches, fighting heavily against my grip.
"Let it go Koneko."
"No! She fucking left me because she couldn't take fucking responsibility for being a fucking whore!"
I shift her higher up on my shoulder since her struggling is making it increasingly hard to hold onto her. Her mother has gotten to her feet and is staring at the two of us with a fearful expression.
"Who are you?" She asks me softly.
"I'm the one saving your life right now. I won't be doing it again."
"Fuck that shit! Don't save her, you're going to need saving when you let me down!" Koneko shouts, still fighting against me.
"Koneko, stop it!" I shout and she falls silent. I turn away from her mother and pick up her swords and hand them up to her. I hear them slide into their sheaths and I sigh as I start to walk out of the village. "If I let you down, will you remain calm?" I ask.
"Yes..."

                 I stop a few feet outside of the gates and let her slide down off my back. Once her feet touch the ground, she hits her knees and covers her face with her hands. Her shoulders start to shake and I set the head down before kneeling next to her. I run my hands through her hair, something I find myself doing whenever she's upset. I think Konan called that 'nurturing' or some shit like that. I hear her mumble something but I can't hear it through her hands. I ask her to repeat it and she lifts her head enough for me to see her tear filled eyes.
"S-She left m-me. S-She never w-wanted m-me... W-what's wrong with me, H-Hidan?"
The emotional pain and anguish in her eyes strikes me like a blow to the chest. I'd seen her upset and mourning over the Akatsuki dying out, but never anything like this. She's almost like cracked glass right now, the slightest touch would shatter her completely.
"I-I tried t-to k-kill h-her... I, I wanted to see h-her b-blood everywhere... T-to feel the pain I-I felt... What's wrong with me...?"
As her question dies off, she puts her head back down and begins to sob. I pull her close to me and she latches onto the fabric of my cloak as her tears soak it. I pick the bag up and continue on to the spot that we're to meet the bounty collector.
"There's nothing wrong you, Koneko." I mutter into her hair. "There's something wrong with her for not wanting you."

                 Koneko doesn't speak during the rest of the walk to meet him and I realize that she'd fallen asleep when I try to move her to pay the guy. He seemed a little confused about what was going on with the two of us, but a quick glare shut up any question he had. I toss him the bag with the head and hold out my hand for the money. I pocket it in her bag and leave him behind to start the trip back to Konoha. As much as I'm sure she doesn't want to talk about it, I need to figure out just what the hell happened back there. And we have to talk about 'us' as well. That'll be something. I thought things were complicated when the Akatsuki was still around, it seems to have gotten harder now that it's just the two of us. 

A/N: My heart broke for Koneko while writing this. </3