Chapter 5

This chapter is dedicated to the awesome @esthefanyarodriguez <3 Did you all notice the beautiful new cover she made? *-*

....................................

The free day brought room to think for Mila. It wasn't what she most wanted to do right now, as she would've loved to drown herself in work again, but she couldn't let herself be chased by the ghosts of the past forever.

As she hadn't much to do except for cleaning her apartment a bit and watching some television, the flashes of scenes haunted her mind. Even when she unpacked her favorite books about medicine she was reminded of her parents, as they bought most of them for her. She clutched her issue of Gray's Anatomy that her parents had given her when she started med school close to her chest, closed her eyes and took a deep breath in. Good memories, painful, but still good. This was progress.

Yesterday she had been able to talk about it, to actually admit what had happened. To a man she barely knew, who was by the way her boss. She couldn't believe it. Her thoughts wandered off to this man. Dr. Mikaelson. Elijah. When he played the piano Mila had the feeling that a bond existed between them and for a moment knew that 'una mattina' matched his soul. Sad, wounded, but still with hope for happiness. But now it seemed faded, Mila hated herself of acting that silly. What she spoke about being friends...she meant every word of it and was even more surprised when Elijah agreed. That too felt different today. The moment was gone, the feeling of comfort was barely a memory. She didn't know what would happen when she would see him tomorrow at work. Would it be awkward? Had he just been nice to a lonely girl in a bar that on the edge of driving mad? Again she risked her career because she carried her heart on her tongue. She simply was that person that couldn't hide anything. Her emotions were always visible on her face.

In the evening she couldn't stay inside her flat anymore. The air was getting thin and her thoughts grew darker by the second. Before she could spent another night with crying herself to sleep and awakening every hour because of the nightmares, she went out again, trying out another pub. It was a bit farer away, but still within walking distance. When she went back after a beer and a nice conversation with the bartender, she decided to go back home, because her shift would start early tomorrow.

The streets were empty and it had already gotten dark outside. Still it was a nice walk as she the pavement went alongside a channel. Streets lights mirrored in the black water so it matched the cloudless night's sky above her. Mila walked slowly, enjoying the silence of the usually so busy and loud city. She closed her eyes and breathed the still sticky air in.

But when she opened her eyes again, she had a sudden bad feeling in her stomach. She felt watched and her pace quickened. Maybe she was just paranoid, but she wanted to get homes soon as possible so she could feel safe again. She looked around, but no one was there. Or at least she thought so.

When she turned back around to continue walking, someone grabbed her by the strings of the backpack she carried with her. It slipped off her shoulders as she was pulled back. The attacker threw it into the canal when he had it in his hands. So this wasn't a robbery. This was worse.

"No!"

She gasped following how the backpack sunk down into the water with her eyes. Not just her phone, her possibility to call for help drowned with it, also Gray's Anatomy, the book she had carried with her to browse through in the bar, was gone forever.

Before she could even think of running away, the stranger got a hold on her by the collar of her shirt. Mila screamed and fought against the rough hands that touched her. A little part of her brain noticed that she actually made a good fight. She was surprised by her own strength, but that might just be the adrenaline.