Chapter 7

"What are you doing here?" 

Mila asked confused. Never would she have thought that someone would find her here...especially Dan. She broke his heart and left him without looking back. But he fought for her. It was kind of cute. 

"I just applied for a job here...I'll start working tomorrow...I was just leaving and then you stood there. Oh my god you have no idea how desperate I was, I was on the edge of giving up, because this city is so big. And then you just work at the place where I just applied. That must be fate." 

The young doctor rolled her eyes slightly, he always started to babble when he was nervous. It annoyed the hell out of her. 

"Look, Dan..." 

She was interrupted by his lips pressing to hers. Her eyes were wide out of surprise and she gently tried to push him away and at the same time not hurt his feelings to much. But he didn't seem to notice and continued. 

Mila thought only of Elijah. That moment some minutes ago had shaken her from the inside. The tension between them was like electricity running through her whole body. Sometimes when they touched accidentally, she felt those famous sparks in the area where her skin touched his. 

She didn't feel that with Dan. Of course she felt sympathy towards him, that kind of safe feeling of her old life and some nice memories, but there was no...passion. 

But then she remembered that Elijah didn't seem to feel the same as Mila did. He had the chance to kiss her and he didn't. Today, he didn't trust her with the surgery, although she could understand his motives. Mila knew that Dan was a safe option. He was a proper guy and could be cute from time to time. 

When Elijah left her standing in the cold darkness, she felt even more lonely. For some time he had made this feeling vanish, but today it was back. Dan could end this. She needed that right now, so she slowly started to kiss him back, although she didn't really feel anything.

Dan's smile was even wider when he draw back. Like a puppy that got his favorite toy back. Mila's hands were on his chest and she frowned when she felt the hard outline of flask in his pocket. He usually didn't drink a sip of alcohol. Whenever she had drunken a beer too much he was beyond mad, as he hated drunk people. She tried the put the thought far away, maybe it was just an exception. 

"Mila...I know it's pretty straight forward, but can I maybe stay at your place? I live in a shabby motel for a week now and I can't afford anything else here...so I thought it would be ok. Like old times, you know." 

Mila thought about it for a while, but out of pity, she just nodded. It went quite too fast for her liking, put it had always been like that with him. If she hadn't resented him nearly dozen times, they would've been married by now. Which Mila never had wanted, as she always somehow had the thought that he wasn't the right one. Never would she have allowed her herself to speak about that to anyone, not even her parents, but she always asked herself if that was everything. Was that love? Again she thought of Elijah, but she put it aside as well. That would never work out. 

She took a deep breath and lightly squeezed his hand and went back to her apartment. 

...

The next day, Mila was pretty excited to go to work. She went to bed early, knowing that she had to be perfectly fit for the long transplantation surgery. Dan had stayed up long, his shift would begin in the afternoon, which Mila was pretty happy about. She didn't want to take their renewed relationship to the hospital and Dan sometimes had the habit of blurting all the details of his private life out to his colleagues. He also reeked of alcohol last night when he came to bed. It definitely was better to spend the day apart.