Chapter 17

New Orleans. 

The city at the shores of Mississippi that kept so much history and secrets. Literally. For Mila it was a drive into the unknown. She didn't know of the history this city had with the Mikaelsons. Mila had no clue who this family was deeply connected to the Quarter, especially Elijah. He himself didn't know. 

To be honest she was more than frightened. Afraid to meet her twin sister and the violent bunch of her boyfriend's family. But there was also this pack Laura told her about. She had no clue if she should follow her advice to go and join the crescents. 

Right now it wasn't an option. She knew that Klaus wouldn't let her go far if she had to be close if he wanted to see his daughter. Mila understood that, but being the prisoner of the deadliest family the world has ever seen wasn't what she imagined her future to be. 

But she had no choice. The other options weren't better. Without their protection she would be caught by the Hallow's lackeys and be the host of some ancient spirit that would takeover her body and kill her personality. 

"How do you feel? Laura told me you have a lot of history with the city." 

She asked while she saw the huge buildings of downtown New Orleans flew by. 

"I don't feel anything at all." 

Elijah said short cut. Mila could feel that he was nervous. That wasn't a good sign. She never had seen him nervous before. He was the role model for a calm man. But what bothered her more was his cold voice. Elijah told her that he didn't want his memories back, but over time Mila wondered if this was the best for him. She fell in love with him the way he was now, but sometimes, in situations like these when they discovered from his past, it seemed like a big part of him was missing. Mila figured that he had been a whole different person before, she had seen in his mind what he was capable of. And she was afraid of this man. 

"How do you feel about meeting your sister for the first time soon?" 

He stopped the car at a red light and looked at her. Elijah felt guilty for bringing her here. It was the only place where he could protect her, but at the same time he was afraid that he could change back into a person that would be a threat for her, someone that couldn't protect her. He himself only knew of the tales of the man he was from other person. Elijah hadn't seen his family for eight years now, but since Marcel compelled him to forget him, they weren't his family anymore. 

"I wish I wouldn't feel anything, too. But I'm afraid to meet her. I'm afraid that we won't get along. What if she'll hate me?" 

The Original grabbed her hand and squeezed her hand which lit her expression a bit up. His touch always remembered her of this lovely, amazing time they spent together. Those were the best weeks of her life. She felt so loved. 

"It's good to feel, Mila. You're still human, I'm not. I'm a thousand years old and over the time I lost the capacity to show emotions. Being away from them and meeting you helped me get that back. And Mila, no one could hate you. You're just too lovely for that. Everyone that knows you is a lucky person." 

He pushed a strand of hair behind her ear and Mila closed her eyes. The rest of the drive went on silently. Mila's nervousness came to its apex when he held in front of a very old building in the middle of the French Quarter. It must be the place where he and his family lived. 

Elijah turned to face her and cupped her cheeks with his hands. 

"Mila, whatever happens in there, just know I'm beside you. I'll protect you. But just know, you're so strong yourself. Your magic is unbelievingly strong, especially here. Even if I'm not able to protect you...you will."