Chapter 16

Later in the evening Laura and Mila sat in front of the TV and ate pizza. A perfect girl's night, it took Mila's mind off all the decisions she had to make a little. 

"Oh god, why is he just so perfect, Laura? He's a gentleman, he's kind to me, he treats me like a goddess, still he's so...cute. And his million dollar apartment has its perks too. I can't understand it." 

Mila lay back on the floor after she finished her pizza and rubbed her now aching belly. She stared to the ceiling thoughtfully. Her friend stretched out next to her and looked at the young wolf with worry. 

"Mila, what's going on? You've been acting strange for the whole day." 

She shot Laura a glance. How could she know her that well in such a short time of friendship. Another think she can't image to deserve. 

"I...it's just...he asked me...no...he wants me to go to New Orleans with him. Told me he can protect me better there. His lunatic brother found me and wanted to god know what to me. The target on my back is getting bigger." 

Laura sighed, her expression turning sad. It made Mila nervous. She had hoped that Laura would tell he to stay independent and live wherever she wanted to. But in werewolf/vampire/witch-world independence and freedom seemed to be defined quite differently. 

"New Orleans is where you're born. I don't really know much about witchy things, but it's for sure that your power will be at its apex there...but also your werewolf side. You're a Labonair, Mila." 

Frowning she turned onto her side to look at Laura. No one ever really told her about her true heritage and her name seemed to be a big deal. 

"But what does that mean, Laura? Everyone always has this strange look on when they hear my name. What is all this fuss about?" 

Laura shook her head, sometimes she couldn't really believe how little this girl new about herself. She took her face in her hands and looked at her intensely. 

"Mila, you're a queen, like me. Your family has been royalty for centuries. Your sister left the Crescent pack, since then they wander around in the bayou. They've been banished from their home in New Orleans and hunted in the bayou. So much happened to them and they just wait for someone to lead them. That's your destiny, Mila. That's why you'll go to New Orleans. You won't go so your boyfriend's family can use you, you'll go for your people. Be their queen." 

Tears flooded both of the women's eyes as both of them knew that they would go separate ways after tonight. Laura was right, she felt it herself. She wasn't supposed to be a minor, a little runt in her huge pack. But she didn't want to believe it. Mila felt so save there, they were becoming a family for her. 

"But how can I be a queen when I don't really know who I am myself? I'm in love with a vampire, someone they surely loathe. I can't fight, I don't know much about their or even our species history." 

Overwhelmed by emotions, Mila sat up. She wiped the tears away, but they weren't stopping. This was simply too much for her. 

"You will learn, Mila. Believe me, the supernaturals in New Orleans have ancient history. Ask Elijah. I don't really know if he remembers himself, but he's a legend there. And you'll find your way to your pack. You can stop pretending like you really feel at home here." 

Again she was right. Although Mila wanted nothing more than to have her home here and be with Laura's pack, she knew that she didn't really belong there. Something was drawing her elsewhere. Maybe it was New Orleans. The place where she was born. 

...

It had been quiet days between Mila and Elijah since she decided to go with him to New Orleans. Both of them were deeply into their own thoughts. Mila could see how tormented Elijah was. He wasn't happy with it, she knew that. The Original didn't want to go back there, too much history was buried there and he was afraid of his own memory. He didn't want them to come back, he lived better since they were gone.