Chapter 21

Mila couldn't really recognize herself some days after she broke up with Elijah. Since then, she was broken. Her confidence had faded into thin air. She barely talked to anyone, which differed from her usually talkative personality.

Most of the time she locked herself into her room, reading as much as she could sneak out from the huge library the compound contained. But maybe that was the whole point. Nothing that was here was truly hers - it belonged to the Mikaelsons. The books, the food, damn, even the bed she slept in. She lived by their favor and because she had recently been turned into a damsel in distress, she had to endure it.

But she quickly bought some of her freedom back. At least the part that was of Klaus' interest. Together with Freya and the help of Keelin, who were the cutest couple Mila had ever seen and seemed to be the nicest persons in the house, they had created a spell to channel some of Mila's catalyzing power inside a talisman. It was a little pendant they gave Hope to wear, so she could walk around and travel wherever they wanted and the family could still be near the little girl.

Her niece was such a lovely child. She was well-behaved, polite and full of energy. Mila would've loved to spent more time with the girl, but it would mean being close to Hayley, which the wolf wasn't yet ready to do. All her sister had caused her so far was pain and it was enough for Mila. She couldn't handle more torment for now and every time she looked at Hayley it again raged through her.

Finally, Mila could walk outside again. She wouldn't let herself be stopped. Surely she needed a change, an escape out of this prison but of course, Elijah would dare stand in his way.

As Mila grabbed her bag and coat, the handsome Original, suited up, which was still so strange for his former girlfriend, blocked the only way out of the compound. She rolled her eyes and wanted nothing more than to rip his head off.

"Where are you going?"

She clenched her fists, while he straightened his suit jacket. He looked down to her with those brown depths. His eyes were still the same, but his whole character was so different. Nothing like the man she fell in love with. This man wouldn't have had the audacity to talk to her like this.

"None of your business."

Mila mumbled and tried to push him away, but his strong hands simply grabbed her. Her eyes gleamed golden as the anger got the best of her. He was pushing her buttons way too much.

"What are we, twelve?"

His face and voice were deadly calm. He really brought it to the point, he was treating her like she was a child. But she wasn't, she could live without him and his lunatic family perfectly fine. Like she had her whole life. It was him that took this away from her and she wouldn't tolerate this any further. Maybe her best option was to hand herself over to this ancient spirit. Or simply run.

"One of us is."

She hissed as she ripped her arm free from his grip. Of course she wouldn't stand a chance against him. But she hoped that he would finally notice how far they'd driven apart. That it came to a point that she loathed him. Mila still loved Elijah deeply, but sometimes love and hate were closer together than they should.

"Mila, it's not save in the city. You could get hurt."

His voice turned a bit softer and for a glimpse of a moment it was the Elijah she fell in love with again. He cared for her. But Mila quickly shook her head. Yes, he cared for her safety, but probably just because she was still useful for his family.

"Well, first, I can do whatever the hell I want. Hope can walk around freely, so I'm not essentially needed anymore. Second, the full moon is close, so just grant me a moment out of this prison before I have to endure another night of pain. Third, I can watch out for myself, thank you."