Chapter 12

Mila and Elijah rushed down the stairs and went out of the door leading to the garden. No one spared attention for their arrival, as they all had rounded around Laura, Ben and an unfamiliar man. Laura was surrounded by her pack, looks of shock but also determination on their faces. They were ready to protect their queen. 

The intruder was around Mila's age, he had a cocky grin on his face and wore simple clothing, pretty underdressed for this occasion. Five men were behind him, all with the same provoking smile and even more rugged clothes on. 

Savages, sounded in Mila's mind.

Elijah seemed to feel the danger radiating off them, too, as he pushed Mila behind him and blocked her view. She was happy that he was there to protect her, but she was a grown woman. Mila placed a hand on his arm, implying that she at least wanted to stay at his side. He gave her a long look, his eyes filled with wary and distrust towards the 'guests', but he gave in and let her move to his side. Elijah would always protect her at all cost, but with the kiss they shared, his feelings intensified. Even though she was a werewolf, she was so fragile comparing to him. In such a situation he wanted to make sure that he could always step in front of her. 

Just then Mila noticed that a corpse was laying at his feet. Her eyes widened in shock. In contrary to Elijah she wasn't used to see corpses laying around. 

"Congratulations to your wedding, dear Laura." 

Laura tensed, her eyes were filled with fury. Mila was sure that her friend knew this guy. It looked like very old history. 

"I would hurry with an explanation to why you killed a member of my pack, if I were you." 

The usually so calm leader hissed. It shocked Mila that the dead girl was a member of the pack, she probably had a family.

"Why so grim, Laura? This is a wedding. I came to bear a gift. One of my guys caught the little one here on my land, talking to a stranger...a witch if I remember right...about a new wolf in town. A wolf that has the ability to let a raging storm loose, like the one that raged at the time of the full moon..."

His gaze examined the faces of all of the guests. It lasted a split second longer on Mila as on the others. Elijah tensed and protectively wrapped his arm around her waist. 

"Unfortunately, the witch slipped through my hands, but the traitor here didn't. As I'm a generous man, I thought I would clear this matter for you and give her a proper punishment. There you go." 

James touched the corpse with the tip of his shoe carelessly and disgusted, but stepped back to symbolically hand it over to Laura.

"Thank you. But next time, you can call me before you execute someone. We could've gotten information out of her." 

Laura spoke through clenched teeth. She wouldn't allow James to find out about Mila. He would either kidnap or kill her, depending on his mood. Of course Elijah would protect her, but even an Original had his limits. 

"But she was a lair, wasn't she? You would've told me and the other alphas if there was a new creature among us, wouldn't you? Because then, we would have to hold a trial, deciding if she would be a threat."

James eyes suddenly bore into Mila's. He knew, he had figured it out. Mila flinched and grabbed Elijah's hand, but didn't lower her gaze, she stared back at him, trying not to show fear. 

Next to her Elijah held his breath on the edge to lashing out. This wolf was a threat and if he tried to touch Mila, the Original wouldn't care if he would set a war off. The setting of the wedding was the only reason why he didn't attack just now.