Chapter 6

"Francesca Johnson and Ivy Johnson, premature twins, born 4 weeks early. Both children need heart transplant, as they showed signs of myocardial degeneration due to identical tumors in the cardiac chamber." 

As Mila read the case out loud, her students scribbled down notes eagerly. They looked at Elijah with deep curiosity in their eyes and Mila smiled. She was proud that they were so eager to learn. It was her work and she knew it, they would all become wonderful surgeons and she was the one that lead them a part of their hard way to reach their goal. 

"Can someone tell me the risks of transplantation, especially in a case like that?" 

Elijah asked and all of the interns hand rose quickly. He held back a chuckle, Mila really did a great job teaching them. This girl was so talented in every way and he wasted this gift. It wasn't fair towards her, but he couldn't risk her activating her gene. 

After one of the students answered his question correctly, he turned towards her. He would let her assist, as he was performing the surgery. It was the least he could do to give her a bit experience. 

"Dr. Labonair, what's the status of the transplantation list?" 

Mila couldn't hold back her smile, she already cared for those children. Of course she knew that she couldn't get too close to her patients, but she couldn't help to at least be nice and happy if they were getting better. Especially children. 

"We're getting one heart tomorrow morning and the other in the afternoon. It's a miracle."

The Original was captivated by the sparkle of happiness in her eyes. His smile grew and both of them stared at each other for a moment, shortly forgetting that they weren't alone. They were ripped out of it as the interns started to cough awkwardly.

Mila shook her head to get her thoughts back together and continued to speak. 

"...'till then, they need constant surveillance. Dr. Ball, Dr. Smith, I want you to do that. Dr. Mikaelson and I will be close if you got any questions." 

Elijah sent the students away to examine the babies together with Mila, as he knew that so many people in a room could make the children nervous and unstable. He lightly set his stethoscope on the boy's chest, while Mila examined the girl. 

"Do you think I spoil the interns? I see no one spending that much time on them as I do." 

She asked, loosing parts of her self confidence with every day she spent here. Her colleagues laughed at her for being nice to her students and actually teaching them something of course there was this rumor of an affair between her and Elijah. Which was obviously complete bullshit...even if they had a moment from time to time. 

"I think you do a wonderful job teaching them, Mila. Don't scale yourself on what the others do, they're all miles behind you. Sometimes our job isn't about getting as much OR time as possible,  most of the time the people we help don't need surgery. You help them with actually listen to their problems and taking them serious. The same goes with the interns." 

His intense eyes met her again, but Mila looked away, falling to a chair next to the incubator the children were in. She carefully reached through one of holes of the device and lightly touched the babies, hoping to give them comfort. 

"Are you alright?" 

She smiled lightly when the baby girl's small hand wrapped around her finger. Elijah adored this sight, but was sure that something bothered her. 

"Yeah. I'm just not used to not get along with my colleagues. I hate this stupid rivalry. Where I worked before, we were kind of a family. I miss that."