Chapter 19

In the morning, after a nearly sleepless night, Mila started to unpack her things. It wasn't much, just some personal things and some clothes, but time seemed to drag. She didn't want to make herself a home here, maybe that was why. 

At least Elijah hadn't dared to cross her this morning. Mila was in a particularly bad mood and with her powers going all over the place, it wouldn't have been good for anyone. 

While unpacking, she stumbled across the first edition of Gray's Anatomy Elijah gifted her. She sighed and clutched it close to her chest. Mila already missed working...and the part of her boyfriend that stayed back in New York. This city...his home...it was changing him. 

"Mila?" 

A quiet voice spoke from outside the door. She had let it open a bit, because she enjoyed the sun coming through the open roof of the compound. Actually the house was pretty nice, under other circumstances, she would've admired it. 

"Yes?" 

She already knew it was Hayley. Mila had already assumed that she would show up. Cleaning off the dust of her jeans, the wolf stood up to face her twin sister. Of course she didn't look exhausted with deep blue rings under her eyes, like Mila. She had this 'glow' all vampires seemed to have. Hayley looked god damn beautiful, fresh like she had just had a nice nap after a spa day. Jealousy built up in Mila. 

"I...um...wanted to talk to you." 

Mila just shook her head and continued unpacking. She really had the guts to do this after what happened yesterday. Her own twin sister was in love with Elijah and now she wanted to bond? 

"Oh, I don't see any sense in talking. Because first, if I'm being honest, I want to rip you to shreds. Second, I'm just keeping myself from it because you seem to be my sister and mother of my niece and third, you really made a bad first impression." 

She snapped and the hybrid lowered her gaze. At least she felt ashamed. Good. But a little pain was stinging in Mila's heart. That wasn't her. She never acted mean. Was this the famous werewolf-temper.

"I'm sorry, Mila. I...I promise I keep away from Elijah." 

It was clear how hard this was to her. But to be honest Mila couldn't feel any pity. Just pity that she had such a bad start with her own sister. 

"Come on, this isn't about Elijah. Of course I'm beyond mad because you f...um, loved my boyfriend but I believe that this isn't a topic anymore, at least from his side...You know when Elijah told me you existed, I felt joy. I was scared like hell, but I hoped that I would get some kind of a family. That you, your daughter and I would have some kind of bond. But that seemed to be an illusion." 

She stepped forward and looked at Mila with an apologetic and serious look. 

"Mila, I was upset yesterday...it's been 5 years. I lost them before...but then I had a mission, I could do something to get them back together...but now, I was useless. All I could do is be there for my daughter and that I did, but I failed in saving her family. She grew up without a father, Mila. I saw her being taken over by some mystical spirit and yesterday...it was too much." 

The young doctor again shook her head, giving up on trying to distract herself. 

"Hayley, I understand and you don't know how sorry I felt that you didn't get to grow up the way I did and that you had so much responsibility on your shoulders for all this time, but that's not what I meant. We're twins, Hayley. I felt the bond between us, I recognized you without even seeing you for once before. But you didn't. I'm not your family Hayley, let's not try to pretend something else. Please, make this easier for both of us and try to get along. But nothing more. I didn't want to get to know you better, no sister bonding, no forced trying to have a good relationship. Deal?"