Chapter 11

It was the day of Laura's wedding. Mila was terribly nervous. She had been invited to dozens of marriages before, but mostly to distant relatives or not that close friends. Never had she really cared what to wear as she only owned one dress for those occasions, because she always had referred to those events as pretty boring and a waste a time. But today it was Laura that married. The women had grown close to each other and Mila helped her with the last minute planning. 

Moreover, she was nervous about the fact that Elijah accompanied her. It wasn't really a date or something, but still she wanted to look beautiful tonight, showing him that she could different from her usual outfit: scrubs or a jeans-tshirt combination without any makeup, hair in a high ponytail.

Mila bought a new dress for the occasion at shop where Laura had bought her wedding gown. They went there together actually for a fitting appointment of Laura's dress, but Mila found a dress that she instantly fell in love with. When she tried it on, she felt beautiful for the first time in years. Dan never had given her the feeling of being extraordinary, but she had been ok with being normal. She wasn't anymore, she had changed since her parent's death and again since she triggered the curse. Mila was slowly accepting and embracing her true nature. 

The dress was of a light pink shade and hugged her curves perfectly. It was elegant, emphasizing her classical features and her healthy skin tone. The long skirt fell around her long legs flowingly. Laura had nodded approvingly and convinced Mila to buy the expensive dress. She never spent her wage on anything but her rent and food, so why shouldn't she buy something nice for her best friend's wedding? 

Today the dress looked even better as Mila tried hard adjust everything in a fitting manner. Her shoes matched the tone of the dress as did the small, restrained rose-gold jewelry which her mother had bought her for her birthday some years ago. Her hair fell down in soft curls around her shoulders, just some strands of the front were braided back to keep the hair out of her face. She did little make up around her light eyes, giving them a cat eye look with a hint of eyeliner. The highlight was the red lipstick Mila applied to her full lips, making them look perfectly kissable. Not that she wanted that tonight. 

She looked perfect for this wedding. Mila wouldn't steal off the attention from the bride, she cleaned up very well, making her more confident. 

Dan and her had argued for long when she told him that Elijah would escorting her to the wedding as he was also invited. Usually Dan hated weddings and she always had to go alone, but of course when he found out that her boss would take her he was beyond angry. With every fight Mila grew more distant. She slept on the sofa nearly every night and managed to not have shifts together with Dan. But today she had the feeling that things would escalate. 

"You look beautiful." 

Her boyfriend stated when she came out of the bathroom, his voice somehow held back, like he didn't want to show emotion. Mila knew that he wasn't lying and that it was just her that didn't find him attractive anymore. It was over, but she couldn't bring up the courage to say it out loud. 

"Thank you..." 

Awkward silence erupted and Mila shifted uncomfortably. The loud ring of the bell fortunately ended it. Elijah always had the perfect timing. 

Before she could discreetly rush down the stairs and meet him outside, Dan stopped her with his arm and went to the door himself. When he opened the door and Elijah saw Dan instead of Mila, the Original's smile faded and he looked down to the slightly shorter man. He straightened his already broad shoulder and his gaze grew intimidating. Compared to him, Dan looked like a little fool. 

Mila coughed awkwardly to interrupt the tensed situation and Elijah's eyes shifted to her. His lips parted slightly as he was taking in her appearance. She always looked lovely for him, but tonight she was beyond stunning. He clenched his hands in order to keep himself from grabbing her and kissing her here and now.