Chapter 10

"Elijah..." 

Mila shot up from her sleep and looked around confused. The sun was already on the rise. What happened? Then she suddenly remembered all the pain and flinched. It was gone now, but thinking about it resulted in phantom pain. 

Her eyes met Lauras and the older werewolf smiled sympathetically. She pitied Mila, barely she could imagine the pain the girl had been in. It was horrible to be trapped in your own body, without having a chance that the true nature inside her could break free and shift. Never had Laura seen something like that before. 

"He's outside, calling someone. He'll be back in a tick." 

She lightly squeezed Mila's hand. The young doctor looked horrible. Her lips were dry and bloody from biting onto them in pain, deep blue circles of exhaustion under her eyes. 

"Laura...what...what's wrong with me?" 

Mila's voice came out stifle and she coughed, her throat raspy to which Laura immediately handed her a glass of water.

"We don't know yet...Elijah's trying to figure something out, how we can help you. All I know is that your witchy side somehow suppresses the wolf in you and keeps you from shifting to which the wolf fights against, which results quite the chaos. I'm so sorry, Mila." 

The young doctor shook her head, slowly calming down and reminding herself of manners. Laura had been so nice to her. She invited to her home and even accepted a vampire and now she stood by her. That was more than any other would do for her...except for Elijah. 

"Thank you, Laura. I don't know what I would do without your help." 

She laughed and shook her head.

"No, you should thank Elijah. He's doing all the work, being a good boyfriend." 

Laura winked at her friend and grinned widely. This cat and mouse game between Mila and Elijah was terribly cute, but also kind of annoying. 

"He's my friend. Like you are." 

Mila blushed and looked away so her eyes weren't telling the truth. Of course she had a crush on Elijah, maybe even more, but she wasn't ready to admit it. 

"Duh, Mila, I'm flattered, but it's like I would call Ben a 'friend'. If you think of me the same way you think of Elijah, I have to say sorry, but I'm taken." 

Both women laughed in unison, amused of the thought. It was nice to have something uncomplicated with Laura, just a building friendship, people that deeply understood each other. They were the same kind of women. Resilient, strong, but sensitive at the same time. 

"Honestly, Mila. You two should talk. It hurts watching you." 

Mila lowered her gaze again, thinking of Dan. She couldn't break his heart again. But wasn't he breaking hers with his behavior? Mila wasn't happy with him, she knew that. 

"I'm also taken, Laura." 

Laura rolled her eyes, giving Mila a serious glare. That girl would run away from her own happiness if it was literally right in front of her. 

"Seriously? We both know you don't love Dan. Be fair, Mila, let him go. It was over when you first left him." 

The younger wolf nodded, being deep in thought. How should she deal with all this chaos? It was so much for one person to take. Love-drama was the last thing she needed. 

...

"Vincent, long time no see." 

Elijah spoke into his phone, grinning when he imagined the face that his old kind of companion heard the Original's voice through the speaker. Vincent had always been truthful towards him, even if Elijah had resented the disrespect he always showed, but still, he trusted the witch.