Chapter 15

After they arrived back at the apartment, Elijah paced up and down the living room while Mila sat on the comfortable couch and pulled her legs to her chest, processing what just happened. She still wasn't sure if Klaus wanted to kill her or kidnap her. To be honest, from what she saw about the Hallow in Elijah's mind, she would've preferred option 1. Mila was so deep into this mess and slowly, but steady it was catching up to her.

"Elijah..." 

His pacing made her nervous. He wasn't making this any better by blaming himself. She feared that the paranoia was getting the best of him and he wouldn't leave her out of his sight forever. 

He didn't really seemed to hear her. He was so far away in his thoughts, she couldn't grasp him. But Mila needed him right now. 

"Elijah!" 

Mila shouted at him when he didn't stop. It seemed to rip him out of his thoughts when he heard her and looked into her tormented eyes. The cold, staring mask seemed to fall from his mask and the man Mila fell in love with was back. He immediately walked over to her and took a seat next to her on the couch. 

"I'm sorry, Mila. For everything." 

His voice was filled with inner pain and Mila sighed. She stretched her hand out and placed it on his cheek. 

"It's not your fault." 

He looked at her and lightly took her hand from his face and interlaced their fingers. 

"It is Mila. My brother seems to be a ruthless maniac who doesn't care for your life. I don't remember much of him, but I really can't see why I was so head over heels to find his redemption." 

Mila didn't know that 'old' Elijah but hearing him talking like this about his family hurt her. She herself would do anything to get her family back. 

"What he said about me being kind of the catalyst for this spirit...it would mean he could reunite with his daughter if I'm nearby or...if he hands me over. Right?" 

Elijah was impressed by her empathy and selflessness. She would help the man that just threatened to hurt her badly. Again Elijah couldn't understand as to why he deserved this gift of a woman. How could this innocent soul fancy him?

"Yes, but Niklaus is a danger for you. He isn't stable. It's a risk I'm not willing to take." 

Mila clenched her fists slightly annoyed. He started to make decisions for her. She wouldn't loose her dignity and freedom, even if she knew that he did this because he cared for her. 

"Elijah, maybe that's the solution. Invite my...um...sister over with her daughter and we can find a sort of agreement. Klaus still cares for you, even if you can't remember that you ever did for him, but if there's a way that would include him having his daughter with him and me being alive and free of any weird ancient spirit, he would take the chance. I'm sure of it." 

The Original stood up again, feeling under pressure. The compulsion started to work without him noticing. He didn't want them near her, not if it wasn't necessary. They have brought nothing but mayhem wherever they went and he was too afraid that it would consume Mila. 

"Mila, I can't protect you here. I've wanted to talk to you about that for a long time and I think you know that...I talked to a witch that I know from my old life. He and my sister still reside in New Orleans and they could help me protect you better." 

Mila frowned. She didn't want to go anywhere. But he was right, she knew that he was carrying something like that around for a while. 

"Why New Orleans? We could all start a new life here together."