Chapter Four

chapter four

Chris opened the front door of his house, only to be greeted with the sound of complete and utter silence.

"Nina, you home?" He called out, setting his keys down on the table.

"Chris! You're home!" Nina yelled, running down the stairs and into her brother's arms, making him laugh, as he hugged her back.

"What's up, Neens?"

"Nothing. Did you see Willy?"

Chris nodded, walking over to the refrigerator. "Yeah, he says hi." Nina beamed, jumping onto the counter.

"Have you heard from Mom?" Was Nina's next question, making the smile fall off Chris' face.

"No, I haven't. Have you?"

"No – she tried to call me the other day, but I didn't answer and there was no message, so I guess it wasn't that important."

Chris resisted the urge to roll his eyes, his dad wasn't in the picture and his mom popped in, randomly, whenever she wanted. Chris had to take care of himself, as well as his younger sister, all by himself. When he went to the army, Nina had been staying with a friend.

"So, what happened with Eva?" Nina teased, dragging the A out on Eva.

"Nothing. I haven't talked to her, and I don't think I'm going too. She probably hates me, anyway."

"What did you do now?"

"I didn't do anything!" He exclaimed, holding a hand to his heart, pretending to be offended.

Nina rolled her eyes.

"Right. What did you do, doofus?"

"I hooked up with another girl ... in front of her." He mumbled, not looking at Nina.

"You did what?" She exclaimed, jumping off the counter.

"Hey! Hey! Leave me alone!" Chris held his hands up in front of his face, as Nina tried to smack him.

For an eleven year old, she was smart. And strong.

"Why would you do that, you dumb ass?"

"Nina!"

"Don't Nina me! I call it how I see you. And you're acting like a dumb ass! You're in love with her, stupid."

"Can you stop with the name calling?"

"No."

"Rude."

"Don't try to change the subject, Christoffer."

"Don't use my full name, Nina." Chris sighed, rubbing his temples with his hands. "Are you sure you're eleven?"

"I'm almost twelve." She grumbled, grabbing Chris' water bottle off the counter. "Thanks for the water. I'll be waiting for dinner." Before Chris could say anything, Nina took off back up the stairs.

***

Chris put his phone down, having just ordered pizza for him and Nina, because there was nothing in the house, and he couldn't cook.

He found himself thinking about the day that Eva had come over, and they had pizza with Nina. Then, they had some more fun when Nina left to go to her friend's house for the night.

Sighing, he ran a hand through his freshly cut hair. Eva loved to tangle her hair in his hair, but he had to cut it for the army. He was trying to grow it out again, though.

There was a knock on the door, and Chris furrowed his eyebrows, looking down at his phone. It was too early for the pizza guy to come; he had just called no more than five minutes ago. Nina didn't bother coming downstairs, she knew that Chris would call her when it was time for dinner.

"Hell-Eva?"

Eva smiled at him; looking a little shocked that he actually opened the door.

"Hey." She nearly whispered, suddenly seeming shy.

"What's up?" He asked, leaning against the door and crossing his arms.

"Could I come in?"

"Nina's home."

"That's okay – I just wanted to talk."

Chris refused to let his small smirk fall of his face; he and Eva never just "talked."

"Right. How about I come over later tonight, and then we can just talk?" Eva nodded, smiling slightly.

"Yeah. That'd be great, just text me when you're on your way."

***

A/N: i'm sorry this book is so ugly ajnmaerijoa i haven't written in months and i'm a little rusty.