Chapter Seventeen

Chapter 17

Chris heard the front door open, and walked downstairs.

"Nina! My favorite sister, you're finally home, I missed you so much! I thought I was going to die!"

"Calm down, I was gone for one night."

"I HAVEN'T SEEN YOU IN FOREVER!" Chris threw his arms around his little sister, who simply rolled her eyes.

"Which one of us is the child, again?"

"Ha-ha. Very funny. That's what I get for showing some brotherly love?"

"What do you want?"

Chris rolled his eyes, walking into the living room. "I need your help."

"With what?" Nina followed him into the living room, plopping herself down on the couch.

"Well. As you may or may not know, Eva and I are officially dat—"

"WHAT? WHAT DO YOU MEAN? WHEN DID THIS HAPPEN? WHY DIDN'T YOU TELL ME? I WANT ALL THE DETAILS! ALL. THE. DETAILS." Nina screamed, jumping off the couch.

"Oh my God, calm down. You're like 10."

"I'M 11! AND I'M ALMOST 12! SO SHUT UP AND TELL ME WHAT HAPPENED."

"I just – I just asked her out, and she agreed."

"But why?" Nina asked, sitting back down on the couch.

"Because I'm Chris Schistad, that's why."

"Exactly. Why?"

"Shut up." Chris huffed, crossing his arms and leaning back into the chair.

"Sorry, big bro. OH MY GOD, BUT YOU'RE DATING! THIS MEANS IT'S OFFICIAL! I'M SO HAPPY! MOHNSTAD IS FINALLY RISING."

"You know about that too?"

"Of course I know your ship name! All my friends ship it, except Claire. She doesn't like Eva – but that's only because she likes you. Which is weird, I mean look at you. Who would like you, you know who? OBVIOUSLY EVA WOULD BECAUSE YOU'RE DATING!"

"Okay, I get it."

"I'm so happy! Ah!" Nina jumped off the couch, and onto Chris, giving him a big bear hug.

"Ugh! GET OFF OF ME."

"No! – OKAY RUDE!" Nina yelled as Chris pushed her off him, making her land in a heap on the floor.

"I warned you." Chris said, with a shrug.

"I hate you."

"No, you love me."

"Mhm. Anyway – you said you needed my help?"

"Right. Well, Eva wants to go on a date wi—"

"A DATE? YOU? DATE? WHAT? NO! REALLY?"

"Are you done?"

"Yeah, sorry."

"She wants to go on a date with Eva, Noora, William, Yousef and Sana."

"Who are Yousef and Sana?"

"One of her other friends."

"Oh. So what do you need help with?"

"Well, she just sprung this on me this morning – and I don't know if I'm supposed to plan somewhere to go, or if she is?"

"Big brother, if Noora and Eva are both going – chances are, they're planning it. Why don't you just ask Willy?"

"Because I was specifically told to not tell him."

"Why not?"

"You know how he is – he hates dates in general, let alone a fucking triple date. Who even goes on triple dates? I've only heard of double dates.

"Why are you asking me? I'm 11."

***

Chris was rudely awakened by the sound of his phone ringing. Sleepily, he rolled over and answered it. "Hello?"

"Chris?"

"Mom?"

"Hey, honey!"

"What do you want?" Chris asked, sitting up in bed – wide awake. He checked the time on his phone; it was three in the morning. Why the hell was she calling him this late?

"Sorry, baby! I just realized it must be super late there! I'm in the US right now, its morning time here."

"It's 3 am."

"Oh. Huh. Well, anyway, I just wanted to check in on you and Nina – see how you guys are doing."

"We're fine. Could you wire us some more money, though? We kind of need it."

"Why don't you just get a job?" There it was. The tone of voice that Nina and Chris' mother saved just for Chris. As if Chris was the man of the family, as if he was supposed to be the one taking care of everyone.

"Probably because taking care of my eleven year old sister is a full time job. I don't know if you realized, but she's a handful – especially once she starts school. I'm gonna be the one going to parent-teacher conferences, I'm gonna be the one filling out all the needed paperwork and taking her to the doctors and taking her to the dentist and everything else. What are you going to be doing? You're going to be fucking whatever American you've gotten your hands on now, without even thinking about how you're children are doing. But – that's not a surprise is it? That's just how it's always been. We're about to lose the fucking house, not that you care. So, when I ask you to wire me some fucking money, I expect you to wire me some fucking money. And for your information, I do have a job. I have a part-time job. Obviously, you wouldn't know that. I don't know if you know this either, but your daughter's birthday is in 3 days. Try calling her for it this year, perhaps."

And with that, Chris hung up the phone before his mom could respond to his rant.

***

A/N: oh snap.

the next chapter sadly will not be their big date :( BUT the chapter after that will be ! i wanna make their date chapter really, really loNG BECAUSE YOU GUYS HAVE GIVEN ME 5K READS AND I LOVE YOU GUYS ALL SO MUCH OH MY GOD YOUR COMMENTS MAKE MY WHOLE DAY UGH. 

i'm gonna update tomorrow i promise.