Chapter Thirty

Chapter 30

Eva was just about to call Chris, when she heard the front door open. "Chris?" She called out, jumping off the counter.

                "Hey, baby girl!"

                "Mom!" Eva exclaimed, running to hug her mom.

                "Hey, baby. How're you?"

                "I'm good. What are you doing here?" She asked, pulling back.

                "I got a few days off work; have to be back first thing Monday, though. I figured I'd come see my favorite daughter.

                "Your only daughter."

                "That we know of." Eva and her mom both laughed, and then her mom looked at her. "Why're you all dressed up?"

                "I'm not!" Eva gasped, looking down at her outfit. She was wearing ripped blue jeans and a crop top. It was Nina's birthday party, not a wedding, so she didn't think she'd have to get that dressed up.

                "Well, you still look nice. Your makeup's all done, where are you going?"

                "Chris and William are throwing a birthday party for Nina, Chris' sister, at Noora and William's house."

                "Your not-so-boyfriend boyfriend?"

                "Oh. About that – we're actually dating now. I'm so sorry that you walked in on us that morning – I know I didn't talk to you about it, I just found it awkward to talk to my mom about ... that stuff."

                "About what stuff? Sex stuff?"

                "Yeah." Eva laughed, uncomfortably. She had never had a close relationship with her mom, usually her mom wasn't home – she had pretty much raised herself.

                "Oh, honey. I never want you to be embarrassed about your life, your sex life or your personal life. I know we've never been especially close, but I love you. So, tell me all about your new boyfriend."

Eva looked at her phone, to see a text from Chris. Nina's running late, I'll text you when I'm on my way. It read.

                "Well, okay. I guess I have some time."

***

Eva and her mom were sitting on the living room couch, about ten minutes later, both with a cup of tea.

                "So, you guys have been together for over two years?"

                "Well, we've been hooking up for two years. We just started dating a couple days ago, honestly."

Her mom nodded, obviously confused at the new age lingo. "Right ..." She stated, processing. "Okay, so, he's a fuckboy—"

                "The biggest fuckboy."

Her mom nodded, once more. "And yet you still hooked up with him ..."

                "Have you seen him?"

                "That's true. Right. Okay, so, my daughter and the biggest fuckboy in Norway have been hooking up for years and they're now in a relationship. Is it serious? Do you love him? I mean, if you guys have been hooking up for that long ... then I'm assuming you have some type of feelings for him."

                "I don't love him. I mean, yes, we have been hooking up. But that doesn't mean we ever talked, over anything. We really only just started to get to know each other the last couple months, ever since he came home from the military."