Chapter Thirty-Two

READ THE AUTHORS NOTE AT THE END OF THIS CHAPTER PERHAPS.

***

Chapter 32

After everyone ate their cake, they all gathered around the dining room table.

                "So, since I'm Nina's favorite person in the whole world, I think it's only fair that she opens my present first." William announced, handing Nina a gift bag. Eva watched as Chris and Nina both rolled their eyes.

                "Thank you, Willy."

                "I can't take all the credit; it's from both of us." William told Nina, wrapping his arms around Noora.

                "It's from me, don't listen." Noora told her, with a laugh.

Nina opened the bag, and pulled out all the tissue paper. "YOU GOT ME A NEW CAMERA? THANK YOU! THANK YOU SO MUCH!" She screamed, with a huge smile on her face.

                "Yeah, I know that you have your Polaroid but this is dig—" Nina cut William off by attacking both him and Noora in a huge group hug.

                "Um, I feel left out. Open my present next." Chris pretended to be offended, as he handed Nina another bag. Nina laughed, taking the bag from his hand.

Eva linked hands with Chris as he watched Nina open it, nervously.

                "A PHONE? I GOT A PHONE AND A CAMERA? I LOVE YOU SO MUCH!" Nina was still screaming, and Eva laughed, as she watched her boyfriend be attacked in a hug by his younger sister.

                "Do you like it? I know you like rose gold ..."

                "I love it! Thank you!"

                "No problem."

Nina opened her other presents, from her friends. Most of them only got her cards with money in it; some didn't bother to get her anything at all.

Sana and Yousef got her one of those singing cards that played "Pocketful of Sunshine," which Nina absolutely loved.

                "Okay, so, I know it isn't a phone or a camera or anything – but I hope you like it." Eva told Nina, handing her the box.

Nina took it, curiously, and then took the scissors that Chris handed her, so she could cut the tape.

                "You got me a jewelry box? It's so pretty! Thank you." Nina said, running her hands over the carvings on it.

                "You're welcome, but there's more. Open it." Eva told her, smiling.

                "What'd you get her?" Chris whispered in her ear, but Eva only shushed him.

                "Oh, my God! It's so pretty!" Nina gasped, taking the necklace out of the jewelry box and holding it up.

It was a gold heart locket, with blue lines carved into it, with a gold butterfly on it.

Nina got up, and gave Eva a huge hug.

                "Thank you!"

                "You're welcome."

***

About four hours later, most of Nina's friends had been picked up. Now all that was left was Chris, Eva, Nina, Noora, William, Girl-Chris, Sana and Yousef.

And a huge mess.

Everyone was cleaning up the kitchen, dining room, and living room, which was where most of the party took place.

                "You know, just because you're the birthday girl – doesn't mean you don't have to help clean up." Eva told Nina, walking into the family room.

Nina was sitting on the couch, staring blankly at the TV, which was off.

                "I know. I'm sorry; I'll be in there in a minute." She spoke softly, so softly, that Eva barely heard her.

                "Hey, what's wrong? For a twelve year old, you seem exceptionally sad." Eva asked, sitting down next to Nina.

                "I just – I hoped that my mom would be here. She called the house, and left a message telling me happy birthday. My dad didn't even bother calling me."

                "Oh, sweetie, I'm sorry. I know what that's like."

                "No you don't. No one does."

Eva laughed, without humor. "No, I do. I haven't seen my dad since I was three. I barely even remember him. And my mom travels a lot for work, so she often misses my birthday as well as every holiday. Trust me; I know what that's like."

                "Really?" Nina asked, looking at Eva.

                "Yeah. But hey, at least you have your brother. He loves you a lot, you know. I'm an only child, so I basically raised myself. I know it doesn't seem like it, but you're a pretty lucky kid."

                "I think I bother Chris, though."

                "Why do you say that?" Eva asked, furrowing her eyebrows.

                "Because I'm always there. He's 20, and he's raising a 12 year old on his own. I try to stay out of the house as much as I can, because I never want to annoy him. Sometimes I just feel like he doesn't want me."

                "Honey, he talks about you as if you hung the stars in the sky. He loves you so much, even if he doesn't show it all the time. You're his number one priority, anyway who knows you two would know that. Have you talked to him about any of this?"

Nina shook her head, violently. "No! And you can't either. Promise."

Eva took a deep breath, thinking it over for a second. "Nina, listen to me. Your brother loves you more than anything, I know this. He loves spending time with you. You might annoy him, but that's normal. All siblings annoy each other, even siblings in a situation like yours. You have to believe that."

                "Eva! Nina! Come on, it's time to go." Chris called, walking into the family room. Nina quickly wiped her face, and jumped up.

                "Okay! But I have to get my presents first." And then she ran past Chris, into the kitchen, before Eva could even blink.

                "Everything okay?" Chris asked Eva, as she stood up and walked over to him.

                "Yeah, just girl talk." Eva told him, smiling.

Chris gave her an odd look, but when she pressed her lips onto his, he forgot what he was about to say.

***

A/N: so i know that this is supposed to be a mohnstad [chriseva] fanfiction, but since we never really got any type of look into chris' life, i feel like it's important to talk about his family and his life in general.

although i'm not sure how long this book is going to be, i know that we *most likely* have another 20 or so chapters before it's ending.

plus an epilogue. so, stay tuned and bear (bare?) with me.

[never did get that saying]