No. 15

Normani's POV.

Time went by slowly. Then again, it always does when you're watching. The short hand was just in front of the three, and the long hand was between the eleven, and the twelve. The time was taking it's time.

But it's not like I wanted it to rush either, I was just anxious. I needed to get this over and done with. It was like I was confronting my worst enemy.

The long hand moved an inch, but didn't hit directly on the tweve.

She was late.

Then my phone rang.

Or she wasn't.

I picked up the phone, and my receptionist's voice filled the phone. "Ma'am, a-"

"-send her in." I cut the woman off. I had no time for formalities. I knew who she was, and I knew what she needed.

"Yes Ma'am."

And with that, the phone was dead.

And the sound came back. The sound of the clock ticking. It was the sound that had not only kept me sane, for the past half an hour I had been in the office, but had driven me insane, since I had gotten back into the office. It was bittersweet. It helped me to stay calm, but it kept me on my nerves.

The round doorknob twisted, and I sucked in a breath, I was going to be met with my fate. It was what I deserved after all, I had been running for ten years.

Then the door opened, slowly, and the first sign of life I saw, was the black boots. Then the black pants. Then the red and black checkered flannel, and then the gold piercing situated in her nose.

And then I saw it, the will to break me, and make me crumble.

The green eyes.

"Normani." her voice remained the same over the years. Raspy, but clear.

"Lauren." I kept my cool, and gestured towards the chair across me. She gave me a small smile, momentarily calming my nerves, and put her bag down in one empty chair, and filled the next. "Would you like some-"

"-no thanks." she cut off my selection. "I can't stay long. I actually have somewhere to be."

"Oh." I don't know why I was disappointed, it wasn't like I didn't have somewhere to be, I had a meeting in exactly - My eyes fell on the clock that had it's hands on the twelve and the three, meaning she was perfectly on time - one hour. "Well let's begin then, shall we?"

"We shall." she straightened her posture and folded her hands over the top of her crossed legs.

Intimidation. That's what it was. That was why I had refused her access the other day.

"I'm sorry." I began, as I fell upon the memory. "For the... denied entry the other day, I was just a bit... stressed." I find the right word. And I still am.

"Let's let bygones be bygones." She waves her light hand dismissively. "Which is why I'm here." she adds, sparking my interest.

"Oh?" I ask, and she nods. "So this is what was meant by my fortune cookie last week?" I ask, and she frowns at me. "It said that the past will make a reappearance, but I guess that happened a few times this week. It only dawned on me now."

"I don't trust fortune cookies." she states her opinion. "The last time, I got 'you will meet a tall and dark stranger', and then later that night, I got robbed at the bank by a tall guy wearing a mask and all black." she explains, and I try to stop myself from smiling, but I give into the temptation.