Chapter 15

I was sitting on the ground, playing with my toys as someone knocked on the door. I looked over curiously and squeaked in fear when my mom opened the door and I saw two police officers.

"We got reports of child abuse in this house," one of them said. "Can we take a walk around?"

My mom looked hesitant for a moment before letting them in. They glanced at me and looked around at our small home.

"Can we talk to you alone?" One of them asked and I shook my head quickly.

"You're scary," I said.

"Just for a little bit?" The girl asked. "I promise we'll be nice."

I nodded slowly and followed them outside.

"Alright, what's your name?" She asked.

"Gee," I replied quietly, hugging my blankie.

"Your full name," she clarified.

"Gerard Way," I said.

"How old are you?" The man asked.

"I just turned eighteen," I said.

They were quiet for a moment and I looked around nervously.

"Is that tattoo new?" She asked.

I looked down at the tattoo and nodded.

"My Mama gave it to me," I said.

"Is she your mom?" The girl asked and I nodded. "Did you want the tattoo?"

"No, I don't like," I denied.

"So, she forced you to get a tattoo?" The man asked.

"I was being a bad boy, it was my fault," I said.

"How long have you been living with her?" He asked.

"I lived with her for alls of my life," I said. "But then she went away to jail but she got out and she finded me at school and we ran away together."

"Come here, sweetheart, do you wanna ride in a police car?" The lady asked as the man went inside.

"No, I wanna stay here with Mama," I said. "She's gonna be mad at me."

"Come on, we'll get you some candy if you want," she said.

She held my hand and led me over to the police car. I sat in the backseat nervously as we drove. We got to the police station and I bit my lip as I looked around.

"Here, do you have someone you can call?" She asked, handing me a phone.

"I can't remember my dad's phone number," I said.

"Where are you from?" She asked.

"New Jersey," I said. "That's where I live with my dad and brother and soon my brother's baby too, his boyfriend's growing a baby in his tummy."

"Where are you from?" She asked.

I furrowed my eyebrows, trying to remember.

"B-Belleville," I said.

She nodded, getting on a phone behind a desk.

"This the the New York City police department," she said. "We have a kid here who says he's from your town. His name's Gerard Way, he lives there with his dad and brother...you have a missing person report filed for him? Well, we found him...alright, thank you."

She hung up and I looked around nervously.

"Your dad is on his way to pick you up," she said. "It might be awhile, do you wanna watch some tv?"