Chapter 16

I woke up, yawning as I went down to the kitchen where I smelled food. It was odd, my dad doesn't cook. I found Ms. Iero in the kitchen cooking breakfast as I sat at the table next to Mikey.

"Where's my dad?" I asked.

"He's at the store," she said.

I stared at her, furrowing my eyebrows.

"You're wearing my dad's shirt," I remarked. "Did you sleep here with my dad yesterday?"

Mikey made a face of disgust.

"Please don't," he said. "I don't want any sort of information on this."

She gave us plates of food just as the door opened.

"Smells good," my dad said, giving her a kiss.

Mikey scrunched his nose up and I frowned in confusion.

"You don't like?" I asked.

"Not really, no," Mikey said. "Come on, eat quickly or we're gonna be late."

"Late for what?" my dad asked as the other two joined us at the table.

"Pete and I are going to take Gee to the beach today," Mikey said. "We thought it'd be good for him to get away for a little while and just have some fun."

"That sounds like fun," Ms. Iero said.

"He doesn't have a swimsuit," my dad said.

"He can borrow one of mine," Mikey said.

"Ray too?" I asked hopefully.

"Yeah, I'll text him," Mikey said.

I smiled, quickly eating breakfast before we headed upstairs. I changed into a pair of Mikey's swim shorts. There was a knock on the door and my dad let Ray in.

"Yay! You're here!" I cheered.

I hurried over, leaning up to give him a kiss. The other's just sort of stared in shock.

"I see you're moving on," my dad said. "That's good, Gee, I'm proud of you. But you, Ray, you take care of him."

"Of course," Ray said.

"Come on, let's go pick up Pete," Mikey said.

We got into the car and I sat into the backseat with Ray as I held his hand.

"What's a beach?" I asked.

"It's a fun place," Mikey said.

We picked up Mikey and got to a place with sand and a lot of water.

"Here, Gee, don't walk off," Mikey said as I started walking towards the sand. "You need sunscreen."

"No, don't want it," I pouted.

"You have to, you're so pale," he said. "You'll get sunburnt and be in pain if you don't put it on."

I sighed, letting him rub the lotion onto me, pouting as I watched Ray and Pete already going to have fun without me.

"Why don't they have to wear sunscreen?" I asked.

"Because they weren't hidden from the sun all their life," he said. "Their bodies can take the sun, yours can't."

I scowled, watching them have fun. I can't have fun because I have to put on this stupid sunscreen. I don't wanna have sunscreen, I wanna go with Ray and Pete.

"Gee, stop moving," Mikey said.

"I wanna go play," I whined.

"I'm almost done, just sit still," he said.