Steps (Spy)

+Author's note
Music above!

When Spy came back from his vacation with a bundle in his hands, nobody was quite sure what to say.

Congradulations? Be careful? Whose is it? So many questions were spinning around his colleagues, but no one said a word.

They silently accepted the new addition to their dyfunctional little family. Small gurgles emitted from the little one's lips, fists waving around as the baby slowly took in her surroundings.

Many of the other mercenaries took turns looking over little (Y/n) while her father was away. They were at her side through out every monumental moment in her life.

From the moment of her first turning, her first grasp with her little fists, her father and the others were overjoyed; to take part in such a beautiful growth, to see a child slowly bloom with each passing day.

But out of all the mercenaries, Scout was the one who had been most loving to (Y/n).

He had fallen in love with the child the first moment he held her. Cradling her in his arms, no one could have ever guessed the love and care he would soon develop for the little one, watching her fall asleep in his embrace.

Especially when he was the one who was most against Spy's decision in the first place.

But here he was, feeding her with a bottle, lulling her to sleep, and soon, guiding her first steps.

The others would tease Scout that he was practically her older brother, to which Spy would scowl at.

But teasing or not, Scout took (Y/n) into his care whenever Spy would allow it, and the love he had towards was ever present.

+++

(Y/n) was now able to stand, and much to the mercenaries' joy and impatience, they've all tried to have her take her first steps; barely able to wait to see her running around.

Scout had always scooped her away in his arms from the others, frowning and saying that she would do it when she was ready.

Despite his words, it did seem that (Y/n) was ready. Her habit of standing was growing longer, and she no longer needed any support to sustain her.

Until one day, she took her first step.

Just one step, one small, but monumental step when Scout was reading next to her.

His eyes widened when she latched onto his leg, taking two steps, and fell. He grasped both hands, and crouched down, guiding her steps.

"C'mon (Y/n), you can do it"

And step by step, he lead her, and slowly pulled away to find that (Y/n) waddled proudly forwards.

Scout stood there, unable to take his eyes off of the little one, too full of emotion to speak.

Soon enough, the others heard of it, and came running to the scene, each beckoning the small child to himself, arms outstretched to catch her.

They all laughed, cried and smiled at her small advances, each congradulating the Spy, even if he wasn't present for the exact moment from the start.

Soon the night came, and (Y/n) now laid cradled in Scout's arms, exhausted from her new talent, snoring softly. Scout looked down at her and ran his hand over her cheek fondly.

Spy soon came into the room, smiling softly at the scene.

"(Y/n) seems to be very fond of 'ou Scout"

Scout nodded, not taking her eyes off of her all the while.

"She's so.. beautiful.. I've never seen anything so beautiful"

Spy slowly took her from Scout's arms, chuckling.

"Maybe 'ou'll be able to 'ave one of 'our own someday. 'Ou'd make an excellent father"

Scout's smile tightened, watching Spy walk away towards your room.

"Do you think.."

Spy gave a small hum of acknowledgement and looked at Scout to continue.

Scout gazed at Spy, looking unusually unsure of himself as he tried to find the right words to say.

"D'ya think.. If I turned out right like (Y/n).."

Scout gave a sad smile.

"Ya would have stayed with me and mom?"

Spy's eyes widened at Scout, unable to mask the shock on his face, unable to meet Scout's gaze but still unable to turn away.

Who had told him? No one would could have ever known-

Apparently the look of conflict and confusion on Spy's face was apparent. Scout gave a small laugh, scratching the back of his head.

"Ha.. I didn't think so"

Scout went on his way to bed, leaving Spy gazing after his abandoned son.

He had no words to say, and even if he did, did he even have the right to say anything?

Spy looked down at your face, seeing that even in your sleep, you were smiling.

He wondered if Scout had done the same when he was younger.