Chapter Six

Autumn's Pov:

"Come on, Joel. We need to leave in 5 minutes and you still haven't had any breakfast." I bugged him as he tiredly slipped his shoes on. He looked up at me and gave me a sleepy smile. I took a seat at the kitchen table, pouring him some Cheerios and milk.

"I'm coming!"

"Why is he so tired lately?" My mom yawned, tying her robe shut as she took a seat at the table as well. I looked up at her slightly for a moment, noticing she had bags under her eyes. I sighed as I thought about what Bailey had asked me the other day.

"Well, Emily takes them to the park for little while, then Rylee and I play with them till we leave. Busy boy he is." I commented as I watched her head cropped onto her hand. I chewed the inside of my cheek as Bailey's words came flying back at me again.

"That's so nice of Emily to do..." She said with sleepiness edged in her tone. "You guy's better get going or you'll be late." She said as she kissed the top of Joel's head while he ate.

"Do you want me to make you some eggs?" I offered as I picked up the dirty dishes and put them in the sink.

"Oh no, I'll be alright. I have to go in early today; those letters don't mail themselves ya know." She said as she stood up, kissing both of us on the heads as she headed back into her bedroom. I sighed as I watched Joel eat... 'I really wish I could make her feel more appreciated... but every time I ask to do things for her she just shuts it down and walks away. I should just set a day up where it's just her and me hanging out...'

"Come on, Autty! You're gonna make us late!" Joel whined as he grabbed his Spiderman back pack. I rolled my eyes as I grabbed my car keys.

"I'm going to make us late? You're the one that didn't want to wake up on time!" I laughed as I buckled him in properly.

"I was awake the whole time! You're just a meany face and didn't properly get me up." I took a seat in the drivers spot and turned around to look back at him. I couldn't help but laugh as he smiled a toothless grin at me.

"Ok, ok. Sure no worries " I said as I started driving him to school. He just agreed with me. It's funny how kids were so simple, yet acted so complicated.

-------------

"Did you tell your mom you were staying over my house to go out with Zack tonight?" I haven't even sat down yet before Payton's voice was ringing in my ear. I turned back to her and gave her a pathetic smile. "Oh my god! Why didn't you?!" She whined as she leaned forward on her desk, glaring at me. I sighed as I moved my hair behind my ear.

"My moms busy with work..." That and I really just didn't want to go to her house... but I wouldn't say that.

"So have Audrey?" She said with the flick of her wrist. I watched as she smacked her gum annoyingly. 'Why am I friends with her... we don't even have a single thing in common... in fact I don't think we even like the same type of... anything?'

"She's working today. I'm sorry Pay, I just can't." I explained as I turned back around in my seat to see Zack standing before me. 'Dear universe... why must you be so cruel to me? I try... I really do...'

"So, you can't hang out this weekend?" He asked in a sad way. I shrugged my shoulders, giving him a sad, yet fake, smile.

"I can't... I tried telling you all week during school. I have to watch my younger brother."

"That's alright, maybe some other time?" He winked at me then walked away. Wasn't I suppose to feel something right now? Like butterflies in my stomach? Is it weird that I didn't? Or is it stranger that I didn't really care? Like at all, I really didn't give a damn.