Chapter Nineteen

Rylee's Pov:

I sucked in a sharp intake of breath as I walked onto the field. It was hot and the air felt extremely humid, in other words, not so perfect game weather. Sam stood walked next to me, Ashley a little ways back as I glared onward, my glasses blocking any real emotion I was having. I couldn't hear a sound around me as one of the new 30H!3 songs blared into my ears. I sighed, closing my eyes as I titled my head downwards. I wasn't looking forward to this game. The SoCal Coach was scouting for her last 3 players today, I wasn't exactly sure if I wanted to play this year... I could feel Sam's hand rest on my shoulder, showing me she wanted to talk. I lifted my head up, still walking to our teams' area, and turning it towards her, taking my ear-bud out.

"Are you still pissed at me? Because it's rather stupid." I stopped in my tracks, letting the rest of our team walk by. The captain's band around my arm was ridiculously tight as I turned around to look at her, pushing my sunglasses up. She didn't seem phased by my abrupt stop, so I smiled gently at her.

"I was pissed off yesterday, but not anymore." I said as I put my glasses back on. As I was about to turn around, She grabbed my arm and turned me back around.

"You're not? You sure seem upset." I looked over her shoulder to see Ashley limping to a stop, putting her weight on her good ankle. I studied her emotion for a moment; she looked like she's had a miserable couple of days... that's for sure. I looked back to Sam and smiled again.

"I'm not upset. I made up with Autumn last night. I'll catch up with you in a minute, okay?" I said as I patted her shoulder and walked over to Ashley. She looked up at me and offered me a small smile.

"Hey, Rye." She said as she continued to limp onward. I swallowed the lump in my throat as I fell in step with her.

"Hey... do you think we can talk?" I asked as I put my phone in my gym bag.

"Oh? You actually want to converse with me now?" I clenched my jaw shut, trying to keep myself from saying something I knew would be bitchy.

"I'm sorry, okay?" I said with a genuine tone. Ashley took a seat on the bench then dumped her bag on the floor next to her. I looked down at her, not removing my bag from my shoulder. She looked up at me and shook her head.

"Why didn't you just tell me you wanted to be with someone else? Do you have any idea how stupid and embarrassed I am right now...?" She asked as she looked she was about to cry.

"Well, come on Ashley. All we had was meaningless sex in an alcove at school for like, 10 minutes? You couldn't really think that I'd change for you, date you or whatever, just because of that." I explained as I finally put my bag down. I watched as her throat moved slightly, before she looked in my direction. "I'm not a good person, you should have known that from the beginning. You know my history, I was just in it for the sex, I'm sorry that I made you believe other wise."

"You changed for her." She mentioned as she tilted her head forward. I looked over to see Autumn slipping into her cleats and lacing them up. I felt my chest tighten; I couldn't help the smile appearing. "You're Lucky as fuck, Rylee. She's beautiful, kind, and I hope she can make you happy." She asked as she looked over to me. I swallowed the lump that was building and nodded in agreement.

"I didn't want to change."

"Change is good if it's intentions are good." She smiled, but obviously still hurt. I gave a half smile in return. " I'm sorry for being clingy and weird. I feel like a dumbass." She smiled awkwardly at me. I just shrugged my shoulders.

"Don't worry about it."

"No seriously, I think I was blinded by this crush I had for you. Though I still have this weird crush on you." She shrugged her shoulders, "but thankfully, I have someone to help me move on. So, you don't need to worry about me bothering you anymore." I arched a brow as I followed her stare. I cannot tell you how far my mouth dropped when I saw her staring at Maria!