Chapter 8

Hey guys! So, lets just pretend that the pic above is of Eirik's blue eyes reflecting back in Emrie's!

Please comment, vote, and follow!

Sorry for any grammar and editing mistakes!

Enjoy!

-&-

Chapter 8

       I hadn't realized how many hours slipped by until the sky outside my little window started to darken. I was right about the little book Terif had given me, it was filled with the customs and traditions of the wolf-bornes- Of their origins, and their myths. How they believed that the very first Northern King was the reincarnation of their God Adranus.

       Their God of the Night and everything that entails. And every king after held a part of Adranus' soul. It was fascinating. Beyond fascinating. I had spent hours reading, and I wasn't even halfway through the book. There was still so much more to learn. My only regret was that Eirik wasn't teaching me himself.

       I jumped in surprise at the soft knock that sounded on my door, and glanced at my little window to see that the sun had finally fallen behind the dark water. I had spoken to Leikos earlier in the day, and Mae had already told me she was turning in for the night. Terif was the only other one who really had any need to come see me, but after our lovely conversation that morning- I doubted he wanted to see me anytime soon.

       "W-Who is it?" My voice didn't hide how startled I was, and I pushed my closed fist against my chest to help slow my rapidly pounding heart.

       "Lady Emrie, I-I-"

       Oh great, it was the overbearing wolf-borne. He's come back to taunt me even more.

       "I would like to talk to you, if you have a moment."

       I let out a sigh and gently closed the book before walking over to the door. I opened it just a crack. "What do you want?" I didn't bother to hide the discomfort in my voice, or the glare in my eye. It's not like he wasn't expecting anything different.

       Terif was standing just outside my small room, an apologetic flicker lighting his dark eyes. The King of the North's general was so large in the small decks of the ship that he had to crouch a few inches so his head wouldn't brush the top of the ceiling. I raised a questioning eyebrow at him.

       "I-I've come to apologize, my lady. I spoke out of place this morning, and upset you. I'm sorry."

       I blinked up in surprise at the large wolf-borne as he stood hunched awkwardly in front of my door, a rather sheepish smile pulling at his handsome face. I crossed my arms over my chest and raised an eyebrow at him. He's been rude to me before this morning, but never before had he come to apologize. What made now any different?

       "You've never really cared before." I muttered as he reached up and ran a heavy hand through his hair, his golden eyes flashing in the little light of the hallway.

        "I know, but I've seemed to really upset you this time. And I am sorry for that."

       His gaze and soft smile seemed sincere enough so I let my arms fall slowly back to my sides and eased my tense features. "It's okay." I mumbled as his eyes flickered hopefully. His shoulders instantly sagged in relief as he let out a soft sigh. I felt a frown pull at my lips.

       "I see you started reading already." He nodded towards the book waiting patiently for me at the desk. My frown eased into a small smile.