Chapter 12

Hey guys,

     Please comment, vote, and follow!

     Sorry for any editing and grammar mistakes!

     Enjoy!

-&

Chapter 12

       The closer we got to the mountain, the more distant Terif became. His silent, brooding, stares at nothing in particular grew twice as long, his strong shoulders never seemed to ease out of the stiffness that had fallen over them, and he barely said a word- Not that that was anything new. His strong features never seemed to drop that emotionless mask, but every once in a while it would slip and I could see the anxiousness he tried to hide.

       He was worried about something, incredibly so. And it was really starting to freak me out. I had never seen him act so uncertain before.

       "What's wrong?" I asked softly as we stood side-by-side at the railing of the small merchant ship, the air cold as ice as we watched the frozen water give way under the heavy weight of the boat. He drummed his strong fingers against the wooden rail.

       "There is nothing wrong. I am just ready to get off this ship." His gruff voice growled as his bright golden eyes scanned through the thick, icy fog surrounding us. I knew his wolf-gaze could see through the white mist clearly, as if it were never there to begin with. Sadly, I could not.

       "Is spending time with me that bad?" I asked with a soft laugh, just to ease the tension strumming through the large wolf-borne, but he only grunted in response.

       Oh.

       Maybe spending time with me was that bad.

       "I do not like spending much time away from the Mountain." I was surprised at the rather soft voice that passed his hard lips, but I didn't question him as I stared down at the icy water. "I am just anxious to be home."

       I bit my bottom lip and nodded beside him. Yes, I knew what he meant. I knew what that was like. I was beyond excited to be back in the North, but I wasn't sure if that was because of nostalgia, or the King waiting for our arrival. Besides, I was extremely ready for a warm bath. Besides some luke-warm water in a bucket, I hadn't been able to properly wash myself since the Lower Kingdom.

       "Land-ho!" A voice shouted from high up the ship's tall mast, and I barely had time to register the fact that the vessel's speed was slowing before Terif had turned and took off for our luggage. Alright then.

       "The snow will be falling harder the higher up the Mountain we travel." His dark voice growled as he slung his bag over his shoulder and reached down to grab ahold of mine. I wrapped the thick cloak tighter around me with a frown. Was he really going to carry both of those the entire time?

       "And the temperature will continue to drop."

       "Is it very cold in your kingdom?" My voice was soft as it passed my lips, my breath leaving my body as warm steam in the freezing air.

       That was more-or-less a rather ridiculous question. This was the North, it was going to be cold regardless of where we went. But I never spent a true winter on the mountain before, I had no idea how freezing the snow could truly be. His bright golden eyes slanted over to mine.

       "On the outskirts, yes. But the King has a central heating system underground that pumps warm air throughout the lower village. Besides," He growled as he stood near the ramp of the boat and waited for the ship to dock. "We are wolves. We were born to withstand the winter."