Chapter 35

Hey guys!

Sorry for any grammar and editing mistakes!

Please comment, vote, and follow!

Enjoy!

-&-

Chapter 35

       He held the ruby out to me, it's dark, deep red glinting in the dim light as I glanced up at it. He raised one dark, perfect, eyebrow. "Would you like it back?" I paused, and watched the stone a moment before nodding. It was warm as I wrapped my fingers around the hard planes of its surface.

       "How are you feeling?" Eirik asked softly after I pulled the cord back over my head and tucked the stone beneath my nightgown. Its warmth seeped slowly along my skin, but it did not pulse like usual.

       "Better. I'm sorry for acting so crazy yesterday." I mumbled as an embarrassed flush rose to my cheeks. He gave me a soft smile as his fingers dropped back to my hair.

       "Don't be, you couldn't help it."

       I still frowned, even as those blues eyes gazed warmly down at me, and his strong fingers stroked my hair. "Did you find him?" I asked instead of lingering on my mental breakdown from the day before. The headache had slowly disappeared over night, but that didn't stop the odd shaking my whole body had undertaken.

       Eirik's small smile pulled into a frown as his fingers left my hair to stroke gently along my cheek. "No, but we picked up on his trail. It shouldn't be long now."

       Despite the reassurance in his tone, and the confidence shining in his eyes, unease still settled heavily in my stomach. Liberius was somewhere roaming free on the Mountain, and no doubt looking for some way to harness Adranus's power. If he could even find him.

       "When do you go out again?" I asked quietly as his fingers dropped to my jaw. His small smile turned into a concerned frown as he laid heavily beside me, his blue eyes soft.

       "After you are better."

       I let out a small sigh and tried not to shake my head as his hand left my jaw to readjust the blankets at my waist. I loved all the attention he was giving me, I truly, truly, was, but he was worse than a mother hen. Not that I had much experience with those.

       "I promise I'm not sick. It was just a ridiculous headache."

       "One I could feel. The bond only allows strong emotions and strenuous pain to pass from one mate to another. That was no ordinary headache, Emrie."

       My lips tugged down in a small pout, one I tried to hide as his eyes practically stared holes into the side of my head. "Do not be mad at Terif." I mumbled instead of lingering on my little episode. The less he knew how much of a head case I was, the better. "This wasn't his fault."

       After North had laid me down securely in the bed the night before, he had ranted and raved about Terif's 'carelessness'. As if my psychotic breakdown had been his fault. My head had still been in too much pain for me to say otherwise at the time. I watched those full, soft, lips of his pull into a frown, and his eyes darkened a shade.

       "He knows better than to act in such a way around you."

       I let out a long sigh before reaching up to run my hand through my hair that was resting against the pillow. "I asked him a stupid question that was none of my business, and he reacted as he should have."

       "That is no excuse for his lack of control."

       "He got mad, North. That does not mean he lost control. He didn't do anything to me."