Chapter 18

Hey guys, I'm sure you all guessed what is going to happen next, but despite it being obvious it is necessary for the story. 

Please comment, vote, and follow!

Sorry for any grammar and editing mistakes!

Enjoy!

-&-

Chapter 18

       Waiting for the King and his General's arrival was agony. Or perhaps, that was anticipating how the King would act upon his return. It had been two weeks since the letter, two weeks of Aeyron and I wandering aimlessly around the castle. We didn't have to fear anyone seeing me anymore.

       I'm sure it wasn't healthy, mentally at least- well, mentally for me- but I kept the letter he had written beneath my pillow. One silly sheet of paper with three words that were otherwise meaningless held such a tight grip on my heart it made me want to scream.

       But still, I looked at it every night- and, guiltily, ever morning. He hasn't sent me anything else since then, and it was quickly becoming my most prized possession. At least, out of all the possessions I had with me.

       "Queen to B4. Check... and Mate." Aeyron announced with a victorious smile, his large body leaning back in his throne-like chair as he crossed his thick arms behind his head. I scowled at the smirk sitting proudly on his lips.

       "You cheated. Again."

       He chuckled and leaned forward to reset the board once again. "No, my lady. You are just horrible at this game."

       "It's a ridiculous game." I grumbled and sat back in my own throne-like seat with a defeated pout.

       "Even so, shall we play another round?" The General was enjoying my failures- all of them. We have spent most of the day playing Chess, and I haven't won once.

       "Are there not any other games?" I practically pleaded as he finished resetting all the gleaming black and white pieces. A teasing scowl fell across his handsome face.

       "Of course, but I don't want to play any of those."

       I frowned and shot him a scowl of my own. "Why not?"

       "You might actually win."

       His laughter filled the large common room we had been lounging in, and I couldn't help but let out my own smile. Aeyron just had that effect on people. The few I have met with him at least. He was always so easygoing and carefree that others just naturally smiled and laughed around him.

       A loud, but distant clamoring stopped my response before it could leave my lips- and Aeyron's head snapped up faster than any human or shifter I knew could. The sudden serious look crossing his face scared me.

       "What? What is it?" But he was already standing from his seat and stalking towards the large wooden door that separated us from the rest of the castle.

       "Stay here."

       "What? No! If somethings happening I want to go!" The expression on his face and his sudden change in attitude was the most exciting thing that has happened in three moons. Three! If something was wrong I wanted to know.

       "It is nothing good, Lady Emrie." The look he shot me stopped my excitement dead in its tracks. Panic quickly filled my heart where the eagerness fled. "Please, stay here." He left immediately after that, but not before shooting me one last, pin-me-down-in-my-seat glare.