Chapter 4 - A Place to Stay

Luke    

       I lean up against the counter texting on my phone. Since this afternoon has been slow, I had my phone out texting with Gabriel.

Luke: Has anyone besides the Doc had any of these "surfers" at their house yet?

Gabe: No, this fucking assignment has been a pain in the ass. We haven't been doing anything                  but monitoring that fucking surfing page and haven't had any leads so far. 

Luke: I don't know what they are expecting us to find? None of us even know how to surf. Not                     that I would mind learning, but we don't have much time to go to the beach anyway.

Gabe: Holy Shit Luke! How many times do we have to tell you, COUCH surfing has nothing to do                with real surfing. It doesn't have a fucking thing to do with the water.

Luke: Well, that's what everybody keeps saying, but I don't understand why they call it that then.              If it's just a way to offer a place to stay or find a place to stay for a night, why not call it                       "Night Owls" or something? Why Couch Surfing?

Gabe: Shit Luke, I don't fucking know. Let's fucking talk about something else, you're giving me                a headache.

       I look up from my phone in time to see a beautiful blonde girl walking in the front door. She stops as soon as she steps inside to study the Mural that Gabe had painted on the inside wall of the diner. It is a full scale painting of a Diner scene from the 50's and it is really cool. She seems to be examining it very closely. This gives me a chance to examine HER very closely.

     She is really small, maybe five foot or so. She has long blonde hair, but it is an unusual shade of blonde. Not quite dark blonde, but not a light blonde either. It's somewhere in between and with the setting sun shining through the window behind her, I can pick out some red and brown low- lights ( Gabe says that hi-lights are lighter than your hair color and low-lights are darker than your hair color). Gabe would love her hair. 

     She steps further into the diner and I can tell that she is slim and very graceful. I couldn't tell at first. When she was just standing there, her shirt was hiding her shape from me. She is also carrying a worn looking backpack over her shoulder. However when she turned to the front, the shape of her shirt and the short skirt she wore showed off her small waist and long tanned legs. I know, how can a short girl have long legs? Well, they LOOK long and that is what counts!

      She steps up to the counter at the far end, away from where I am standing and takes a seat. I don't waste a minute in striding down there to talk to her and get her order. I am looking forward to it. If for no other reason than to just hear her voice. I am sure she will sound just like an angel.

    "Hi there, is there something I can get you? My name is Lucian Taylor, but you can call me Luke," I say. I mentally kick myself for sounding like a loser. Why did I tell her my full name? What is wrong with me? I sound like a jack ass, I groan to myself.

     She hesitates a moment and her forefinger comes up to push against her lower lip. "Um, hi, Luke? Um, could I have a glass of water please?" she asks in a low, sweet voice. Yup, I was right, the voice of an Angel.

     I practically trip over my feet when I turn around to get a glass and the pitcher of ice water we keep cold in the refrigerator under the counter. I set the glass in front of her and as I fill the glass I ask, " Can I get you something to eat? Would you like to see a menu?"

                            ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Sang