Chapter 26 - A Big Break

Hey guys. I am so sorry this took so long. I am not going to lie, this is not edited very well.. but, I didn't want to make you wait any longer. Thanks for sticking with me!

Sean

Owen and I are standing outside of Sang's house waiting on someone to answer. We decided that it was best to have Sang stay with the Taylor's as part of the 'couch surfing' set, that way it would not look suspicious. I had really wanted to take her home with me, considering her injuries. The hospital was reluctant to release her without her parents direct consent. However, since it was an Academy hospital, we were able to get her released to Uncle's care. We indicated that with questions surrounding the cause of her injuries, we would be launching an investigation and did not want to return her to her home. Owen and I pushed for a closed adoption, we haven't told the boys yet, but we are sure they won't have any complaints.

"What the hell is taking so long? Even if her father isn't home yet, we know for certain that her mother never leaves the house." Owen is getting more testy as the minutes go by. I can see what Luke was talking about, I have already heard a few mild curse words pass his lips. That is very unusual, Owen has always maintained that such language is the mark of an uneducated person. Of course we know that is not entirely true, the boys swear often and they are quite intelligent and highly educated. They - we - all graduated school early and with very high marks. I am a walking testament to that. There are not many 20 year old medical residents in the world.

I try diffusing the situation before he starts dropping "f-bombs" - although that would be something to hear. "Give her a moment Owen, we don't know if she is resting or if she is just ignoring the bell." I too am getting antsy and am not happy that this is taking so long. We are hoping that her father is back and we can get his consent to press charges against his wife. If not, we aren't sure what we are going to do. We are hoping to get him to release her to our custody, so that we can get her out of this house for good. Being that she is almost eighteen at this point, it's only a matter of months until she can make that decision for herself. We hope that when the time comes, she chooses to stay with us.

Owen reaches out and starts banging on the door with a fist, apparently done waiting. He has his phone in his hands and I have no doubt he will be calling the authorities - or the Academy - if she doesn't answer in the next minute.

Just then the door jerks open and a small woman with dirty blonde hair in a messy ponytail, is standing before us in her fluffy pink robe. "What do you want?" she sneers at us. Oh boy, Owen is going to go batshit on this woman. I am almost willing to let him do it, I'd like to see this woman go down. However, we have to think of Sang, she is our sole focus at the moment.

I see Owen take a deep breath in through his nose, hold it for ten seconds and then slowly release it. Once he has taken this calming breath, he says in his very proper 'Owen' voice, "Ma'am, is your husband at home?"

She looks at us as if we were slime at the bottom of her slippered feet - very ugly slippers if I do say so myself. She raises her chin and says, "My husband," she sneers out the word husband as if it is a dirty word, "will not be coming back to my home gentlemen." she says. Owen's eyebrows ris at this announcement. This is news to us and he looks as shocked as I myself am feeling.

"We need to speak with the two of you regarding your daughter." he tells her.

"Is something wrong with my Marie?" she asks. She seems genuinely concerned about this daughter. Why would she think of Marie when it is obvious that only Sang is currently living at home, we were not even aware that there was another daughter. "What is wrong with my daughter?" she demands.