Chapter 33 - What was lost is found

A/N - Hi guys... I did it. Another update. It's slightly shorter than usual, but I am going to be super busy for the next few days. Husband is having shoulder surgery and work is nuts.... I'll get the next chapter up over the next two weeks. We're winding down.. I promise ;)  Thanks for sticking with me, thanks for the comments and votes. You inspire me :)

                                                  ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Owen

"C'mon Owen, why are you driving like someone's grandmother?" Sean asks from beside me. "You heard that scream man, we have to hurry!" I hear the anxiety and impatience in his voice. We all heard the scream, while we were talking to North. However, I don't dare go any faster, the last thing we need is to get pulled over.

"Sean," I say "I can't afford to get stop for speeding at the moment. I realize the gravity of the situation, but your constant complaining is not helping." That last bit was delivered through clenched teeth. Sean wisely goes silent.

I take a peek into the rear-view mirror and see Luke with an arm slung over Gabriels' shoulders. Gabriel looks like one stray word could blow his whole world apart.

"It's going to be ok boys, we will get to Sang and she will be OK." I try infusing that sentence with as much confidence as I can, inside I am a mess of nerves and fear. However, Sean and I are the role models here. If we fall apart so will they and that is currently unacceptable.

"Gabriel," I bark out. I have to use a firm tone to get his attention. He needs a task, something to get him out of the funk he is in. He is useless to us if he doesn't get it together. We are going to need all hands on deck once we find our girl. "Watch my side of the road. We are getting close and North said the entrance will be hard to find."

Now that I gave him a task, he shrugs Luke's arm off of his shoulder and sits up straighter. His eyes are glued to the road to my left. Good, he's snapped out of it. Now I have to think of some task for Luke.

"Luke," I say. He shifts his attention from Gabriel to me. "Would you text the others and see how far out they are? We may need the equipment that they have." Victor, Nathan and Silas stayed behind to gather up the laptop, some night vision goggles (in case we have to search into the night) and any other gadgets we may need. I know they won't be too far out, they were "upset" with me because they had to stay behind (boy is that an understatement). "I need you to contact the others and see how far out they are"

"On it" he replies. I can always count on Luke to act first and ask questions later.

Seans taps me on the shoulder and when I look over, he gives me a thumbs up. He approves of my actions. He too knows that they boys need something to occupy their minds. At least he is quiet now and no longer complaining about my driving.

"Stop!" Gabriel yells. "I see it, it's there" He points out the window toward an overgrown trail on the other side of the road. I slam on the brakes and Gabriel smacks his face into the seat behind me. "Ouch, Fuck!" he cries.

"This is why seat belts were invented" Sean drawls. "I'm not fixing your nose because you neglected to use yours."

Gabriel makes a rude gesture with his right hand, while holding his injured nose with his left. "Fuck off doc, I'm alright" he says. Clearly his nose hurts, but I have no more time to waste on his injury. There is no blood, that's all that matters.

I back the vehicle up, as we passed it before I could get the brakes to engage. North was not kidding, the road is overgrown and looks more like a footpath that a road. If not for the tires marks crushing the grass down, we probably would have missed it. When we reach it, I turn onto the road and start along. It's going to be slow going because the road is riddled with little potholes and debris.