Chapter Five

It was like an old movie playing but it was too vague to make out what it really was until it became clear like a television finally got its satellite dish working right.

     A little girl, the same girl who was at the private wing flashback earlier, dressed in pink t-shirt and jumpers, playing alone in the backyard with her dollhouse.  Lonely was the word I'd use to describe her.  She was smiling as she made small voices to make it look like the dolls were talking to each other but her eyes spoke differently.  Aside from the innocence they bear, there was a misplaced sadness that don't fit the scene.

     "Rachel, darling!" a shrill voice, that sounded like mom's, called out.

     Rachel looked up from her toys to the house where a woman, who was the same as the one who was lying on the hospital bed in the early flashback only now, her face is a bit more vibrant, came out of the house and joined Rachel on the isolated terrain.  Rachel stood up and looked up to her with an expectant smile on her face.

     "I have something to tell you," she said with anticipation as she bent halfway, resting her hands on her knees.

     Rachel's face remained hopeful, waiting for what her mother will say.

     "You're going to have a baby sister!" she announced.

     Rachel's face lit up as she gaped her mouth with joy.  "Really, mommy?"

     Mommy stroked her hand on Rachel's side of the face then, I noticed the small bump on her tummy.  "Yes, darling," she said.  "What would you like to name her?"

     "Jessica!" Rachel brainstormed.  "Her name!  Jessica!" she said with a happy persistence.

     "That's a beautiful name," Mommy cooed.

     Just then, like a lightning, the scene flashed and turned into a dark picturesque.  The dreamless sleep went on that seemed like a very, very long time...

     I woke up only to find Jude sitting on a club chair that matched the couch by its side.  I sat up and held my head, afraid that it might fall off due to the piercing pain its making.

     "How long was I out?" I asked.

     "About three hours," he answered, seated on the club chair, his elbows rested on his knees, his hands clasped together.  "How are you feeling?" he asked as I have fully recovered from the weird reverie.

     "I'm--I'm fine," I said as my eyes darted around the living room table, mindlessly scanning the scattered prescriptions that I assumed Jude took in earlier.  I settled my eyes on Jude.  "Where's mom?"

     "She's in the kitchen making dinner, why?"

     I stood up unsteadily.  "I need to talk to her," I said struggling to keep my balance as I took urgent steps out the living room.

     Jude was quicker, of course.  He stood in front of me before I could make it halfway out and held my shoulders, helping me stand firm.  "Whoa, whoa, whoa," the words rushed out of his mouth.  "You have to sit down," he said, stopping me and pushing me back on the couch.

     "No, no, I need to talk to her," I said with constant persistence to get out of the room.

     "Just rest for a while.  For God's sake!  She's not Mary Poppins!  She's not going anywhere else, Rachel," I could read the growing annoyance in his voice.

     I gave up and let him sit me back on the couch.  He returned to the club chair and resumed with his pose earlier as he studied me with regard.  "What's wrong, Rachel?" he asked, his face was full of concern.