Chapter Nine

Goodness!  Who knew I’d be able to survive that long walk.  A sudden thought struck me.  I could be a runway model.  Really.  If only you saw how I strutted past their shocked faces as if I’ve given them whiplash or something.

     I followed Suzy, my secretary, the girl who entered my office, the girl who asked me if I’m back for good and the girl who handed me the bloody folder that was growing heavier in my hands every second.  I learned her name earlier when I got out of the office, her table was on the right side of my door and subtly glanced at her gold plastic name tag and said, “Suzy is it?  I want cups of coffee delivered in the board room.”  Ha!  That’ll show her who’s boss.  Right now as we walk, I’m just trying my hardest to ignore the urge to kick her butt moving from side to side in her blue bodycon dress…

     Suzy dropped me off at the board room.  Every head in the room turned to me until I have sat on the right side of who I assume is the President of Dixon Co..  On the other end of the long oak desk, across the President, was my husband.  I held back the urge to wave a little hello to him considering how serious he looks.

     “So, Mr. Dixon,” Jude’s voice made me jump on my seat.  Good thing nobody noticed.  They were all ears to Jude.  “I suppose you still haven’t gotten hold of the Dawson’s land.”

     “Mr. Stanton, it’s not that easy,” the white-haired President in his gray suit responded.  “Mr. Dawson refused to give up his eight-hundred acre land.  He wouldn’t even accept the double of the price you offered even only to buy the half of it.”

     I prevented from dropping my jaw at the sound of eight hundred acres of land and just listened quietly as they continued their discussion.  Suzy has returned in the room with tiny ceramic cups of hot coffee on a stainless tray cart.  After distributing the cups and saucers to each member of the meeting, she went out with the tray and returned to sit on the black leather button-back chair at the corner.

     “Why don’t you just find another land to buy?” I suddenly found myself speaking.  “Surely Mr. Dawson’s land isn’t the only place you could find.”  I tried to stop my mouth from blurting out anymore nonsense but my tongue went on.  “And I’m sure there are other land owners who are willing to sell their land.”

     There they go again.  Damn shocked faces gaping at me.  A small voice inside my head was saying that I’ve impressed them.  I felt quite smug.

     “Mrs. Stanton,” Jude addressed to me.  I wonder if he also felt like giggling after saying that.  It must’ve been weird for him, too.

     Oh God, I’ve got to stop myself.  I pressed my lips together and pretended to listen to what he was saying.

     Too late!  They are now staring at me, waiting for a reply.  What am I supposed to say?

     I nodded my head intelligently as I racked my brain for an answer.  “Absolutely,” I managed to say due to the lack of time to think of a more proper answer since everyone was beginning to raise their brows with impatience.

     “Great!” he exclaimed with an ecstatic grin as everyone in the room close their folders.

     I looked around the room, hoping that someone would tell me what was happening but everyone was already pushing back their chairs and leaving their seats.  I followed their example and we all headed for the elevator.

     “I’m sure you won’t be able to think of finding any other land once you’ve seen it,” Jude smirked winningly.

     I pressed a thin smile;  An idea began to form inside my head that we are heading to this Dawson land.