Chapter Twenty-Five

She asked me to sit on a wooden stool that matched the unvarnished cherry table. She served a creamy-looking soup in a small China bowl. She placed the silver spoon beside the bowl and sat beside me.

"Tell me what you think," she smiled anticipatingly.

I picked up the spoon and sipped the hot liquid. My tongue sensed the salty flavor of the creamy soup. It was surely mushroom and I could tell that croutons were smashed to bits.

"Creamy...mushroom soup," I guessed, taking my second spoonful.

"You remembered," she sat up, her eyes shining.

"What?" I said, unsure.

Her smiled dimmed. She shook her head, hiding her disappointment. "Finish it up. I think John has a lot of things in mind for the both of you today."

**********

He led me to the field where villagers could freely take fruits and vegetables whenever they want. There, villagers looked up and gave a tiny wave as a greeting to John.

"Wow," I said. "It seems like you're everyone's favorite here."

He grinned, slipping his hands in his pocket as he shrugged. "Not really. I'm just happy to see them happy and contented with what they have."

"Has there ever been a problem here? I mean, you know," I shrugged. "Not everyone's a hearty sharer."

He shook his head. "They know that they're only to get what's enough for them. It's different here. Enough, for them, is enough."

I looked at him. "Does that apply to you, too?"

He turned to me, our eyes reading into each other's. "I got you and you're enough for me." He paused. "I guess it does apply to me."