Chapter Six

It was a strained silent moment until mom broke the tension in the room.

     "Oh!  And do you remember the time when you pooped in your pants in the second grade?" she said happily.

     "Mom!" I scolded even though the memory was nowhere to be found in the corners of my head but the sound of it already made it even more awkward that it already was.

    Nice save, mom.

     The rest of the night was silent.  We exchanged our goodbyes with my family before finally heading to the shiny black car parked out in front of the perfectly mowed the lawn.  Jude have started the engine and has driven for approximately eight seconds before I asked, "Where do we live, Jude?"

     "Robinson Village," he said before turning his eyes from the road to me with a wide grin.  "You'll love it there.  You'll see."

     We paused in front of two large silver gates.

     "Stanton," Jude said out of the silence.

     I thought he was beginning to become weird, speaking nonsense out of nowhere but when I turned to his direction, his car window was rolled down and a speaker box on top of it with three colored buttons was planted on the roadside.  Just then, the twenty-foot long silver gates automatically opened.  The car began to move.  No longer was there white fences and wooden classic houses.  Wide minimalists of two to three stories high were everywhere in different shapes--well, on most circumstances, they were rectangular--and sizes.

     The car stopped in front of a white pristine two-story minimalist house.  On most parts of the house were full-length windows.  It was breathtaking.

     We both got out of the car without tearing my eyes off of the white loft as if in a trance.  Then, out of the corner of my eyes, I saw him jog to my side before I could fully get out of the car.

     "Oh, sorry," I muttered, loud enough for him to hear.  I immediately slipped back inside the shotgun seat and waited for him to open the car door for me.

     "Thank you, Jude," I said when he finally opened my door for me.

     We walked the short walkway together.  There were not-so-spacious yet not-so-small lawns on either side of the footpath.  There were different kinds of flowers in disarray that serves as to border the residence front, like fences.  But after staring at it for a while, it seemed to give a burst of kaleidoscopic color, giving life to the flawless edifice.  We climbed three broad marble steps to the smooth-finish mahogany doors with a round frosted window on both doors.  I felt my eyes bulge at a sweep of an eye on every detail in the room the moment Jude twisted the two stainless steel lever knobs open to the luxurious abode.

     The white marble flooring laid out on every direction.  To the left was the living room.  The entrance was wide and bordered with smooth mahogany, the same with the front door, only thicker and clear glass paned its sides.  The back of the couch greeted the entrance, opposite to the arrangements in my parent’s house.  There were no club chairs except for the black genuine leather couch.  In front of it was a flat screen attached to the wall.  On both sides, the cream carpeted walls have few inches apart, making way to a glass…water fall?

     "Where does the water go?" I asked as I searched the floor for any leaks but there was none.

     "The water is recycled.  It also provides cool breeze around here, also environmentally helpful," he said from behind me with a tone that sounds like a...a...telemarketer.  He must do a really good job with his work.

     Across the living room's entrance, also on my right, were two flights of short staircases to the second floor.  Straight ahead was a wide spacious area leading to the modern kitchen and before that, the glass set of round dining table and chair dropped my jaw.  In the center of the glass table were two cursive letters with an 'R' and 'J' tangled together in such a masterpiece.  There was a blue light illuminating a broad vertical line four steps from the front door to the kitchen's entrance that I've never noticed before.  I looked up and saw...water!

     "Isn't that going to shower us anytime soon?" I asked with uncertainty.  I lingered my eyes on the liquid ceiling before turning to face him.

     He chuckled.  "The glass is bullet-proof so it's pretty much unbreakable."

     "Oh," was all that I was able to say.

     Of course.  Glass.  Should've thought of that.  Water can't float.  Duh.

     Suddenly, I felt tired and I'll just leave all the marveling tomorrow.

     "Jude?"

     "Hmm?" he leaned a bit.

     "Where's the bedroom?"

     "Upstairs," he smiled with comprehension, knowing that I needed rest.  "First door on the right."