Chapter Fifteen

The rest of the night was dawned with silence.

     "You're not seriously going to call that man, are you?" Jude asked as though the thought of calling the doctor would be ridiculous as we made our way to our front door.

     I turned to him and I could feel my eyes burning with eagerness to remember my past.  "This could be a lead to my past!  Don't you want me to remember our sweet moments before?  Don't you want me to remember the most important day of our lives: our wedding?"

     He seem to consider what I said before saying "Alright.  But I have to be present on your meetings with that doctor, okay?"

     I smiled.  "Okay."

     He clicked in the keys and opened the door.  I headed to the empty kitchen and drank a glass of water then, proceeded upstairs to our room without any sign of Jude.  He must be in his study again, looking at stupid The Groove blue prints.

     I sat in the middle of the closet floor and somehow, this has become my favorite part of the house.  I pulled out the tiny card from my purse and studied the writings on it.

     I've thought about calling the number early in the morning.  Just then, a snapping inside my head happened.  Surely I must've owned a phone.  What's a business prowess without a phone?  But I don't remember anyone handing it over to me after I've woken up at the hospital. 

     I got up and began to look for my phone inside every bag I own without any idea of how my phone looks like or where it is.

     "Chelly."

     I jumped a mile at his voice.

     "What are you looking for?"

     "Nothing...honey," I said through gritted teeth.  "I was just checking out my stuff...trying to familiarize myself with my things."

     He studied the messy pile of purses on the oak closet floor.  "Right.  Well, I'll be off to bed now."

     "Good night," I forced a smile.

     He smiled in return.  "Good night."

     I waited until there was a complete silence outside the closet.  I continued to rummage the remaining bags for my phone but just like the rest, they were empty.

     I have given up searching and felt rather tired so I decided to head straight to bed without bothering to change.

                                                  ******************************

The next morning, Jude was already out of bed.  I noticed a yellow sticky note on his bedside lamp.

Off to office early.  Don't come today.  Rest at home, my darling.  -Jude

     Perfect.

     I scrambled off the bed and headed to the bathroom for a quick shower and a change then, continued last night's search for my missing phone.

     I opened my bedside table's drawers for any luck but found nothing related to my search.  A small voice at the back of my head that I tried to ignore kept telling me to check Jude's bedside table got the best of me.

    I rolled over to his side of the bed, my heart pounding faster and faster with excitement as I pulled each drawer open.  On the last compartment, all the hardwork has finally paid off.

    I picked up the gold leather shoulder bag and felt the weight it bears.  A weight that indicates that there are contents in the purse and based on the bag itself, I think that this won't belong to a guy like Jude but rather, to a girl like me.

     I fished inside the bag to see what I could find and--BINGO!  Cellphone, wallet, makeup and many other things that could identify me.  Goodness!  Why didn't Jude give these to me earlier?

     I clicked my phone for any luck that the battery hasn't died yet, although the bar had turned red and blinking, a sign that the system would shut itself down soon.

     I took the chance to view the photos first without hesitation since messages would take me time to read.  And just before a gasp could escape my lips at the last image I saw, the screen went black.