Chapter Twenty-Seven

"Wait. What?"

It's been hours since and instead of feeling my lids getting heavy, I felt like my eyes are going to pop out everytime he says something.

"Should I start from the very beginning?"

I gulped and tried to look composed. "Yes, please," I said as I clutched my knees tightly against my chest.

"Okay," he sighed, probably tired of saying everything again for the, oh, I don't know, FOURTH time?? "We were almost married."

There was a sharp silence just like the first time he had said that some hours ago.

"Were," I repeated and nodded, making sure I heard it right.

He nodded slowly as if talking to a pre-schooler. "Yes. Were," he said tentatively.

I nodded, waiting for him to go on.

"We were divorced," he paused, probably waiting for me to ask again "Why?"

"Why?" I asked as surprised as the first time.

He heaved a sigh. "Be-cause! My father was losing the land and, and, he couldn't afford the marriage even my own money can't shoulder everything."

I nodded.

"So I told you that I'll be back for you but you didn't wait for me."

I renewed guilt washed over me. Seriously, I hate this feeling. I'm going to have to stop asking before he starts the whole story again for the FIFTH time.

"Then, I just found out that you're married. You tried to push me away in the first place by acting like nothing happened or you don't know me or I'm just your husband's client who refuses to sell his land."

Again, I nodded.

"But when you realized that you're still in love with me, we began to have this so-called "affair"," he quoted with this fingers.

I nodded.

He waited patiently that I might react and make him say everything again from the top. Well, this one's a shorter version 'cause he's been saying everything over and over again, but you get the picture, right?

An awkward silence followed. We tried to stay away from each other's gaze as much as possible. On the horizon, the dark sky began to unveil the awakening sun. We both turned to look at the sunrise.

"Has it always been this beautiful?" I spoke involuntarily.

He turned to me, our eyes finally meeting. "Yeah, " he breathed.

I said nothing. I clutched my knees against my chest even tighter, feeling the heat outside my body but feeling cold and almost sweaty inside. Not meeting his eyes, I said, "I think we should be on our way..."

He looked down, avoiding my sight. "Right." A delay of a second or two, he jumped out of the truck. I listened to the sound of the driver's door swing open and shut, knowing that he was already inside before jumping out and getting in the shotgun seat.