Avoiding Us

Jungkook couldn't remove his gaze from Jimin's face as he was left with no words. He reached out to wipe off the tear from Jimin's right cheek but Jimin flinched away, hand quickly shooting up to wipe the tear himself. Jungkook reluctantly withdrew his hand, and heard Jimin sniffle.

"Just the usual, right? I think someone's waiting for you so I'll try and hurry." Jimin flashed an obviously fake smile and walked away quickly, not giving Jungkook enough time to respond. Jungkook watched helplessly as Jimin whispered something to another man standing next to the coffee grinder and sped away towards the staff room.

"An order for... Mr. Jeon Jungkook?" the man called out, causing Jungkook to tear his gaze from Jimin's receding figure. Their eyes met, and Jungkook wasn't sure what the other man's gaze held. But it wasn't welcoming.

Jimin reached the door of the staff room and flung the door open, revealing the blindingly white and empty room for a split second before slamming the door behind him. He cupped his own face with his hands, trying to comprehend the whole situation outside. Jungkook was outside, and Taehyung was waiting for him. Jimin felt like throwing up. 'Park Jimin, you are a fucking dumbass.' Jimin could feel the lump building in the back of his throat. He finally broke down, sinking down against the door, sobs escaping his mouth. He clutched his turtleneck tightly, remembering everything.

•••

Jungkook walked up to receive his order, the man from earlier giving him a good look. Just as Jungkook was about to open his mouth, the man pushed his order towards him. Jungkook's breathing hitched.

A caramel macchiato.

-----

"Kook-ah~!" Jungkook turned to Jimin. "Do you want anything to drink?" Jungkook blinked, a little unsure of what to say.

"Uh... I've never had coffee before." Jungkook hung his head low as Jimin's lips curled into a smile. Soon enough, Jimin was laughing. "Hyung, it's not funny!" Jungkook was blushing, but not only because of embarrassment. Jimin's smile was beautiful, and Jungkook couldn't take it.

"Well, if you've never tried coffee before, you probably won't like the bitterness of stronger coffee, like an americano..." Jimin paused, nose scrunched up adorably. "How about... a caramel macchiato?" Jungkook blinked, not having heard what Jimin said as he was too busy staring.

"Sure, I'll try that!" Jungkook exclaimed frantically, and Jimin smiled, turned away to order. "I guess..." Jungkook mumbled.

-----

Since then, Jungkook had grown to like stronger coffee, but he hadn't let go of the memory. He licked his dry lips, suddenly unable to move the cup anywhere near him. Jungkook mumbled a quick thank you, the gaze of the part-timer still resting on him. He bowed his head awkwardly and turned around quickly, hesitantly grabbing the cup after a good few seconds. There stood Taehyung. Jungkook gave him a cold look, about to shove past him, even though Taehyung was the one who'd asked to see Jungkook.

"Jungkook-ah." Taehyung called out in a tone laced with pain that somehow reminded Jungkook of Jimin. Jungkook flinched, freezing in his tracks. "Can.. can we please talk?" Taehyung asked, eyes shut and face towards the ground. Jungkook felt conflicting emotions. But they weren't about Taehyung.

Was Jimin ashamed? Embarrassed?

Why had he been with him last night in the first place?

Jimin still hadn't explained everything that had happened with Min Yoongi.

But he was crying...