Chapter 16

"Betty?!"

"Bruce?!"

"It's-it's good to see you again." Betty said slowly, a million questions were running through her head but it was all she could think to say.

"I thought you said you didn't want anything to do with me until after I found a cure." Bruce said, there was a slight edge to his tone.

"I FORGOT TO TELL ALFIE SOMETHING! BE RIGHT BACK!" Solerah announced suddenly and took off like a bullet down the hall.

"Sol?" Both Bruce and Betty were broken out of their staring contest by Solerah's abrupt exit.

They both stood in silence, not really knowing what to do at first. Bruce contemplated following Solerah for a moment before deciding against it. It was probably better to leave her to her own devices, besides Betty looked confused and he didn't really want to just leave her there alone. Besides she said she would be coming back.

"So is this where you're staying now?" Betty's soft voice broke through his trail of thoughts, snapping his attention back to her as she leaned down to pick up his book and pen, seeing all the notes and formulas as she closed the book and handed it back to him.

"Uh, yeah. I work here now."

"That's a smart idea... This place is so well run and hidden, it's better then you being on the run and homeless."

"Yeah, I suppose it's nice to stay put." Every single Instinct was telling Bruce to run. He wanted to just disappear into the ground. It was awkward. They both didn't really know how to communicate after so many years apart.

"Are you happy?" Bruce's question was sudden and caught Betty off guard. She swallowed a lump that formed in her throat before she spoke.

"Yes. It took awhile to finally accept you weren't coming back but I moved on. Can't dwell in the past forever." Betty said, her lips were thinned tightly. Bruce felt like that was a direct jab at him.

"I have a girlfriend now." Bruce blurted out, speaking before he thought. He cringed at his own awkwardness.

"Oh?" Betty was silent and Bruce was trying to read her facial expression without any success. "Is she a scientist here too?"

Bruce felt his mouth dry, he pointed to the empty walkway where Solerah had rounded the corner to leave. Betty looked over to where he was pointing and put 2 and 2 together.

"Her? But she's so..." Betty trailed off, not knowing how to finish that sentence without sounding offensive. Strange? Uh Unique... Loud? Uh, Enthusiastic... Betty knew she wasn't a scientist, she said so herself when they were eating together.

She seemed to be saved as Solerah had reappeared, she made a light "Ooohff!" noise as she had ran too fast and slammed into the wall. She quickly sprang off the wall using her hands for momentum and returned to Betty and Bruce.

"Sorry!" She squeaked. "I just... Uhhhh." Alfred's final words from their prior conversation echoed in her head.

Until Doctor Ross leaves you are to treat this professionally!

I will slit your throat and drink the blood that runs from your neck!

Professionally Wild Star!

Fiiiiiiiiine!

"Forgot to give him an update for a report!" She grinned as she adjusted herself. "Anywhoozles!Doctor Ross if you follow me I can show you to your room."

"You're staying here?" Bruce asked as his brows knitted together.

"Only for a few days. We should catch up."

No, no you shouldn't

Bruce smiled at her reluctantly.

"Okay."

Okay but that's NOT okay

"Alrighty then!" Solerah spoke up clapping her hands once. "I'll take you to his lab tomorrow!" She forced the happy tone in her voice a little, hoping it wasn't too obvious.

"Great! I could see what you're working on then."

I COULD kill her, I mean I WON'T but I COULD...

---------------

They said their goodbyes and Solerah lead Betty to her allocated guest room.

"If you need anything there's a help button. Click it for anything, whether you want food or something is actually wrong. Someone will come and help you at whatever hour." Solerah explained as she opened the door and moved aside too allow Betty to step inside. "I hope you understand you will be closely monitored whilst you stay here."

"I understand, thank you for your help."

"Alright then, I'll see you tomorrow. Goodnight Doctor Ross."

"Goodnight."