Chapter 22

Solerah fumbled around Alfred's office. She took it upon her self to handle a lot of Alfred's jobs while his funeral was being organised and a new director needed to be chosen. Solerah was officially now the head of C.O.D.E.X but she didn't want that. She took up responsibility of the organisation just until someone else could be chosen. It was a hard job and under any other circumstance she'd never be bothered to do it.

A soft knock on the door broke her thoughts.

"Come in." She smoothed out her stiff pencil skirt after she stood.

"D-Director Redgrave?"

"Don't call me that." Her voice was harsh and caused the agent to jump slightly.

"Sorry! Uh, Miss Redgrave. I have a package for you."

Oh fun, more work.

"Thank you agent." She met him half way across the room and took the box.

"Good day Miss Redgrave." The agent gave a salute and left.

Ugh, why did she choose to take his name again? Every time she heard it it was like a slap across the face.

She put the box on the desk and worked to quickly finish a report before she opened it. After about 10 minutes she heard another knock to the door and sighed.

"Come in."

How did Alfie deal with this every day?

"Hey Sol."

Bruce came in carefully carrying a tray.

"Don't you think it's funny that now I'm the one bringing you lunch?"

"I guess..."

Bruce forced a laugh, looking at her. He wanted to frown at her blank stare but kept a smile on his face. He was trying to hard to be positive for her. He was cracking jokes and carrying conversations she would otherwise be leading and he was just plain trying. He missed her laugh, he missed the way she would sing words and he even missed the way she use to have her hair up in pigtails or braids. Now it was swept back behind her ears and she was wearing dull colours and she was just different now but he needed to be strong for her, so he tried to encourage whatever she changed about herself.

"I-l like your glasses." He said as he put the tray on the desk and sat in the free chair. "They make you look cute." He could feel a small blush across his cheeks. He had never seen her with glasses on and the red frames perched on her nose suited her. He hoped the compliment would make her smile again.

"I'm suppose to wear them for work. I hate it but Alfie always gets mad when I don't work and wear them." Solerah's sentence dissolved into shakey sobs.

Damn it

Bruce quickly moved to stand, so he could hug her but Solerah raised her hands.

"No-no! I'm fine! I need to work! I'm okay." She removed her glasses and rubbed viciously at her eyes.

"Eat something. Please?"

Now he knew how she felt whenever she tried to force him to eat.

Solerah picked up a sandwich triangle and nibbled on it.

"So I was thinking maybe we could go on a date tonight? Go into town or even just sit in the skydeck and watch the stars?"

"No thanks, I've got work." Solerah pulled the box in front of her and started picking at the tape.

"Solerah you need to take a break."

"I'm doing that now." She brushed him off with her comment.