Chapter 18

So I have taken SOME dialogue and a lot of inspiration for how I'm portraying Betty from the Peter David run of the old comics. I can admit I am not fond of Betty because of this run I mean yes she TRIES but she just really hates the hulk and she treated Bruce so unfairly and she left him a few times. When Bruce finally gained full control and had his mind in the Hulks body Betty was mad at him! So yeah I really don't like BettyxBruce I mean they loved eachother but they just weren't right for eachother. I do like Betty as a character just not as Bruce's love interest. Anyway I highly recommend checking out that run and I hope I haven't made any Betty fans upset ^^'

-------------------------------

An awkward silence had filled the air as Betty helped a weakened Bruce back to his lab since she didn't know where else to take him. She stood back as she watched him move sluggishly towards a set of draws.

"I feel like we never really emotionally connected. I feel like you were always too afraid." Betty said as she sat on top of a desk, clenching her fists and tensing her shoulders, it may not be the best time but she needed to get this out.

Bruce had pulled on a shirt that he kept in said set of draws for such emergencies and stared at Betty. He took his time to think and formulate an appropriate response to her.

"It's not that I was afraid of emotions, just of what can happen if they get out of control. For me, getting upset or angry has always been bad. First my father and then the hulk, I told you why I had to keep everything under control."

"So because you were so afraid of violence you locked everything away? Then what's the point of living if you don't even have any passion Bruce!?"

"That isn't fair Betty, whenever I tried and broke away from what you considered the 'quiet gentle guy' I was you pushed me away, you hated it, I knew you did so don't deny it. Any time I showed any abrasive emotion you turned me away so that just gave me more reason to shut everything down."

Bruce sighed and pinched the bridge of his nose. He didn't mean to just spill everything out like that.

"You know l loved you. You were so different from all the military men l grew up around. I loved the fact that my father hated you so much and you just were so sweet and timid. I just, I wanted you to need me. To depend on me for strength and then everything just went wrong."

"And l loved you, I did! I loved you with everything that I could express but we both had different ideas that we tried to force on the other." Bruce needed to be careful, he felt unwelcome emotions start to bubble up.

"Bruce... We could still try, we could still make us work."

Bruce was silent for what seemed like forever.

"Go home Betty. Live your life and be happy."

Betty felt tears well up in her eyes, she wanted to fight, to scream, to say SOMETHING but nothing came out. She made her way briskly to the door.

"Goodbye Bruce."

The door was shut with a little too much force making Bruce flinch.

".... Goodbye Betty..."

------------------------------

After looking everywhere for Solerah, Bruce had finally given up and slowly walked to his room. So when he reached his room he was surprised to see her waiting for him, leaning against his door and looking at the ground.

"Sol-"

"Is the reason why you're working so hard to find a cure because you want to go back to a normal life? With Betty?"