Chapter 29

Ahhhhh I haven't updated in so long, I've had the absolute worst writers block! I feel like nothing I write is good right now! >___> I am glad I managed to get this out though! Comments will probably help my writers block go XD

—————

Bruce stared aimlessly at the ceiling, taking note of the various cracks and chipped paint and the dust that gathered around the blades of the ceiling fan. He let his mind wander while he was holding Solerah. His hand had slid up her shirt, feeling the warm contact of her soft skin while his fingers traced random patterns along her back. Solerah was comfortably snuggled into him with her eyes closed, she was awake though, they had both been awake for roughly an hour.

Since they couldn't have sex, they had since sought out other ways to be intimate with eachother and while they did push the boundaries of what they could and couldn't do for the most part they just fell into what was for lack of a better description long cuddle sessions. Going on the run they had these opportunities less and less so neither of them had any intention of moving any time soon.
"Tell me something from your childhood." Solerah spoke up. "Something happy." She added as a quick after thought, her warm breath tingled against Bruce's skin.

He inhaled deeply, Solerah's head rose and fell with his chest and tried to think of a happy memory. Bruce thought of his mother and a small smile gently replaced his scowl. "My mother use to love gardening. I remember her telling me it was the only place she felt free, the only thing she had complete control over. She use to sit me in the shade with a book while she worked on the garden. She was so happy she could help something grow and flourish and live." Bruce explained, Solerah smiled at the image his words conjured.

"She was so kind and giving and she loved life. I don't have a lot of good memories Sol but the ones I do all involve her." Bruce held onto her just a little bit tighter so she lifted her head and kissed him.

"Thank you." Solerah loved learning everything she could about Bruce. He was absolutely wonderful and everything about him enthralled her. Now maybe she would admit that she was probably biased but it was more likely that Bruce was just perfect. She treasured every piece of information he chose to share with her as she knew it was hard for him to talk about his past and feelings.

"What about you?"

"Hmm?" His question pulled her from her thoughts.

"Tell me a happy memory." He calmed down from his own memory and restarted tracing shapes on her back, feeling the contact of her skin easing his tensed state.

"I use to love playing in mud. I would dig dirt pits and then bring water to them. No body else seemed to share my affinity for the mud though." She giggled at her memory. "My brother would always find me covered from head to toe in mud. I was always running around exploring and going on what I had deemed adventures."

Bruce smiled at the thought of her young self covered in mud and loving every moment of it. "Tell me about your home." He was still fascinated about the fact that she was an alien. He tried to imagine what an entire world filled with completely different life and a completely different ecosystem would even be like.

"Not much to tell I suppose. Earth is far more technologically advanced."

"Tell me anyway." Bruce gently pushed.

"Our homes were made of great white rock. We were surrounded with water caverns and forest. All kinds of animals completely different from anything on Earth."

"Why did you leave?" Bruce finally asked the question he's been wanting to know since the day she confided in him about something terrible.

Solerah was quiet for a moment and Bruce was about to apologise for asking when she finally spoke.

"Women kept disappearing. No one knew why. It had been happening since before I was born. I was told if anyone tried to look for them, they'd disappear too. It wasn't until my brothers Quatrill disappeared."

"Quatrill?" Bruce interrupted in question.
"Umm." She hummed in thought, trying to find a word to translate. "Oh! Soulmate!" She smiled as she felt him nod.

"My brothers Quatrill disappeared and he was absolutely devastated. I hated seeing him so sad, so I did what I was told never to do."
"You went to look for her." Bruce asked and Solerah nodded in confirmation.

——————

Young Solerah sat covered in blood and too afraid to move. Her eyes darted around the room she was thrown into. Her eyes widened when she saw Leerya, her brothers Quatrill. "Leerya!" She cried out and ran on all fours, collapsing into Leerya's in a hug.

"Oh Solerah?!" She held her tight and there was sorrow in her voice. "Not you too."
Solerah took note of leerya's missing arm and sobbed harder.

"What happened?! What is this? What are those THINGS?!" Solerah's brain was going a mile a minute.

The older woman spoke up. "Child, it was become clear that we are not alone."
She turned to the elder, sniffing, trying to stop her crying to listen. "Wha-what do you mean not alone?"

"The inside of Nivael is hollow, home to these creatures. They have been harvesting us, all this time... We were their food." There was a deep pain in the woman's voice and Solerah choked out a sob. They were going to get eaten?! She wanted her brother...

——————

"I was so afraid. I don't know how long I was in there but when it was my... Turn... Somehow I formed this. It went straight through his neck. So I rallied the women, we carried out those who had no legs and we tried to escape. I was lucky. Half way through fighting my way out, my brother was fighting his way in. He formed and lead a rebellion to save me." The blade disappeared into nothing and she wiped her eyes, making sure to catch any unshed tears.

"I don't know what was wrong with me but after that I couldn't go back to how I was. I just couldn't. When the opportunity arose to leave Nivael I took it. I became a bounty hunter, you know the rest." Solerah finished.

Bruce nodded, absorbing everything she had told him. "I'm glad you left." He pressed a kiss to her head. "I'm glad you found your way to me." He held her tighter and they fell back into a comfortable silence.

——————-—

"We're almost there." Bruce announced as he lightly tugged Solerah's hand that was in his.
"You said that ages ago." Solerah whined then yawned. She was exhausted, they had been traveling none stop and Bruce assured her they would be going to a safe place where they could rest for awhile and figure out a more solid plan.

"Trust me." He simply stated, he was exhausted as well but he didn't want to admit it. They walked down the dark street light lit path until finally Bruce walked them in onto someone's front porch. He rang the doorbell and Solerah leaned against Bruce's back closing her eyes.

Bruce had to ring the bell a few more times to get an answer and he didn't blame them on not answering as it was well past midnight. Finally the door swung open and Solerah peeked past Bruce's shoulder to see a tall man with brown hair and eyes.

His cranky face quickly turned into one of shock then utter joy.

"Doc?!" She grinned and pulled Bruce into a hug. Bruce awkwardly patted his back and pulled away. He stood to the side and allowed Solerah to come into the man's view.

"Sol, this is Rick Jones. My best friend."