Chapter 9

I drowsily open my eyes right before I reach for my phone to call Reilly, who hasn't been released yet.

It's funny how I'm hearing his ringtone next to me.... I'm going crazy..

'Uh... Hello?' I hear both on the phone and next to me when I look beside me. I was too oblivious to see him.

'Hey!' I say as I hang up the phone.

'Hi!! I missed you! I got home late, so I didn't want to wake you up.... You looked exhausted.'

'I was. *awkward silence* WAIT!!'

'What?'

'Can I sign your cast?'

'No...... Kidding, kidding. Here's a sharpie.' He says before I lightly punch him.

As I sign the cast, I think of whether or not I should say Mrs. Smith in parentheses, but I don't. I just sign my name with a heart.

'Now, wherever we go for the next month or two, we'll be with each other.... Well, our signatures will be anyways.' He says before wrapping me into his arms.

'That's a good enough 1-year anniversary gift for me.' I say before his face turns red.... He forgot, didn't he?

'Uh...... At noon, we're going out to lunch wherever you want, then we'll go to whatever store you want to get whatever you want.'

'Reills, I'm not a shopper... But it's spending time with you, so I'm in.'

'Yay!' He says before he kisses me and runs off.

'Be ready for 11:30!' He yells from his closet. It's huge.

As I walk down the stairs in my aqua sundress and silver sandals, I see Reilly in a Bruins polo shirt and jeans. It's all casual, just how I like it.

'You look..... amazing! Not that you don't every other day because you do, but especially right now.'

'Thanks! You look handsome as ever.' I say before we walk out the door, his arm around my shoulders.

'Would you like to be seated indoors or outdoors?' says the lady at the counter.

'Babe, it's all up to you. This is YOUR day.' He says with a small smile.

'Um, outdoors is fine, thank you.' I say before we're led to the most beautiful spot in the restaurant. I'm a sucker for ocean views. The candle has candles on it, but the other ones don't.

'Did you do this?' I say as seriously as I can without laughing.

'Maybe....' He says before pretending he didn't hear anything.

I kick him under the table, apparently a bit too hard.

'Ow! What was that for?'

'Sorry... My definition of a kick and yours are 2 different ideas.' I was a soccer player in high school.

'Hehe.... Oh here comes our waitress!' He says before sighing under his breath.

After we both order, I remember something.

'Reills?'

'Yep?'

'When's our flight to Canada tomorrow?'

'Oh dang.... I almost forgot.... My dad's funeral... It's at 3... We have enough time to pack, I think.'

'Okay, good. I just thought of it now when I saw someone that looked like your mom.'

Reilly payed the bill after we ate, even though I offered to pay... He said that it was my day and that I shouldn't pay.

While we're walking down the street, I see a man walking my way who looked like a total creep.

'Hello beautiful. Wanna come with me?' This stranger says

'Uh... No thank you.' I say as I walk the other direction, but he grabs my arm and pulls me away from Reilly. I was screaming for him when he came running at the man who seemed to be drunk. He covered my eyes and mouth with his filthy hands while Reilly kick him in the balls, telling him to let go of me.

'You can't hurt me you little wimp.' He slurs

'I'll do anything to protect her, even if it hurts me.' I hear Reilly mumble to himself.

'Come at me, bro.'

'OWW!!' I scream when my arm feels like it separated from my body. I think I dislocated my shoulder.

'OH!' The stranger says as he lets go of me shortly after.

I run up to Reilly and hug him and he hugs back.

He whispers in my ear, 'I kicked him in the nuts and the shin. Then he tried to attack so I had to tackle him. Could've gotten arrested, but it was for you.'

'I guess when you said that you'd do anything, you seriously meant anything....' I say before giving him a peck on the cheek and continuing on with our date, refusing to tell him about my shoulder.

'So, now that our anniversary was a bust, wanna just rent Redbox and stay home for the night?' He asks.

'Sure. A little time to process what just went on would be okay.'

'Just like the first time we saw each other in Boston; stay home and watch a movie.'

'But now, our relationship has gone to a level that I never thought I'd get to with a guy. I thought it would all be fun and games, but I fell for the person I want to live with and love for the rest of my life.'

As we walk back with the movie we both picked: The Hunger Games , I begin to think about our future. Will it work out? Will I screw it up? What if we are forced to split? Are we going to make a family together?

***********************************

Hey! I've been super busy w/ school, so sorry I couldn't write.... Next chapter will be the trip to Canada (: Thanks for reading!! 👌

~ Jess