Chapter 17

*3 months later*

*Jess's POV*

I wake up with the other half of the bedspread thrown on me and Reilly missing. I slowly get up, as I'm expecting any day now, and walk to the kitchen to see him watching some hockey show on NESN and making toast. We're not the family you want hosting any dinner parties any time soon.

"Hey." He turns his head around after Dale Arnold says something about tonight's game. TONIGHTS GAME. I totally forgot that tonight is game 7 of the Stanley Cup Finals. The odds are not in the Bruins favor. Tuukka hasn't been on point ever since his mom died right before the last game, which San Jose won 7-1. He just wasn't ready. Plus the team in total hasn't been scoring a lot lately. Hopefully it'll all come together tonight.

"Sorry. They were talking about things to look for in San Jose's game. I'm freaking out, babe." He smiles.

"Yeah. I forgot about the game until now. Whoops." I smile back.

"You won't be forgetting it tonight."

"Be good for once, will you?" I joke.

"You're not in the NHL, now are you?" He jokes back.

"I wish I was. But being the wife of an NHL player is good too." He kisses me, but splits it up because of the toaster. We both lack in our cooking abilities.

"Good? I thought it was perfect."

"

"So, are you ready?" I finish my toast.

"I think so. I mean yeah, I'm nervous as hell, but I think it'll all be okay."

"Play your game and you'll be alright." I rub his back before putting my plate in the dishwasher.

"Put mine in too?" He whines.

"ONLY because it's your last game of the season. But it means you have to work harder tonight."

"For a plate?"

"Just trying to pump you up."

"You being my wife pumps me up. Whenever I think of you, us, the baby, I always do well. It's my anxiety that messes me up. Just the little things can mentally take me out of a game."

"Well just keep your eye on the prize... Well, us.... And you'll be alright. Regardless of the score, you'll always be the MVP in this family."

"This is why I love you." He wraps his arms around me. I don't ever want him to let go.

*****

"It all comes down to these 60 minutes." I watch as Dale Arnold and Barry Peterson continue with their pre-game talk at the sports desk.

"Whoever comes out and scores the first goal is the one that has won every game so far and most likely will win this game, and the Stanley Cup."

As the cameras turn off, they begin to interact with those sitting around the desk, as they won't be on TV until the end of the show because it's on national television.

"Who do you guys think will win? More importantly, score the first goal?" Barry asks us.

I hear a mixture of names being said, mainly Bergeron, Chara, Krug, Marchand, and Krejci, but no Smith. I have faith in my husband. Hopefully he pulls out and plays well tonight.

"Hey! How's your baby!" Melanie, Krug's wife asks.

"Expected sometime soon!"

"Congratulations!" She's really nice and pretty much my only friend out of all the wives. It gets pretty cliquey up in this section.