Chapter 20

*20 Years Later*

*Jess's POV*

'Col?' I say when he picks up the phone.

'Hey mom.'

'Are you excited?'

'Yes, but scared too. I mean c'mon. It's the NHL draft!'

'Your father and I will be there as soon as possible. Our flight begins boarding in a couple minutes.'

It's not too too far to drive from Boston to New York, but we need to be there as fast as possible.

'Okay mom.'

'Bye honey. And good luck!'

'Thanks.'

"Wow." I say as I hang up, suitcase in hand.

"What?" Reilly says while looking around the airport while waiting next to me.

"He grew up so fast..." He really did. Just a minute ago, he was playing in bantams in Boston and now, he's at the draft, soon to be playing in the NHL, maybe on the team Reilly used to play for before he retired a couple years ago. Or maybe he'll be living in Canada and playing for Edmonton or Vancouver. We'll find out soon.

"Let's go, sweetheart." He charms me with how he talks. Even to this day.

As we board the plane, I remember all the times we traveled. When I had to bring Colby to LA because I had to go for work, and so did Reilly. When I had to stay at home with my son while my husband traveled and played hockey around the US and Canada. I'll admit that I'm one to think about the past a LOT more than most people, but my past is one hell of a story. I've done so many things with so many people, bonded as a team with the Boston Bruins, both teammates and families, and even got to attend the 2018 Winter Olympics in South Korea! But all of this wouldn't have happened if it weren't for Reilly.

"Wow." Before we know it, we're in NYC and I didn't do anything but think about the past the whole flight.... I need to find a hobby.

We collect our luggage, haul a cab, drop off our luggage at the airport, and race to the Radio City Music Hall.

"Whew." Reilly tells me before laughing.

"What?"

"That made me feel a whole lot younger than I am."

"You ran a couple blocks in New York.... No biggie." I laugh back.

We enter the hall to see a whole other side of the draft. Tables set up. People everywhere. It's quite chaotic, and definitely a claustrophobic death trap.

"Where do we go?"

"No clue, lemme ask this guy." Reilly says.

-

'Excuse me, sir?'

'Yes?' The very tall man turns around. Whatd'ya know, it's Zdeno Chara!

'Hey Zdeno!'

'Reilly! What's up?'

'Just trying to find the waiting area for parents of the draftees.'

'It's up there.' He points to a balcony filled with rows of people.

'Thanks!'

We reach the top of the stairs to find no seats in the rows. Great. But we eventually find two seats and sit down just in time.

The Minnesota Wild were choosing. From what I heard, they were looking for defenders, which Colby happens to be.

The announcer goes up to the microphone and starts to announce the pick.

'In the first round of the 2034 NHL Draft, the Minnesota Wild select Colby Smith, from Boston University.'

"Oh my god." I try not to tear up, but my attempt fails.

"Cool, isn't it? Now you're the only one who wasn't in the NHL in the family." He tries to make me stop crying. It didn't really work.

"Well, now our son will be sporting the green and white." I say while wiping a tear of joy away.

"Well, yeah." He smiles before hugging me.

"So, are we gonna go see him or...?"

"Sure, let's go." Reilly leads the way as we head down the stairs.

*Reilly's POV*

'Dad.' Colby says before running up to me and hugging me.

'Congrats! How does it feel?'

'It feels... Spectacular!' He replies. He's always been a one for words.

'Yeah. Do you like the team, the location, and so on?'

'From what I know about it, yeah!'

'Good, good.'

'Thanks.'

'What?' I reply.

'For persuading me.'

'I didn't persua....' He interrupts me.

'No, but you did. By telling me all about hockey, how much fun you have, all the perks (including ladies) and how you came to love it persuaded me to not try out for the basketball team, but instead hockey. Well, look where it got me.' He smiled.

'Well, yes. That's true. You were a bit too short for playing college basketball anyways, but let's not talk about that.'

~

'Bye son! Congrats again.' We both say before heading off to our hotel room to stay the night before leaving for Boston in the morning.

"Thanks."

"Why is everyone thanking me?" I'm so confused.

"For being the best."

"What?"

"You heard me. These past 20 years have been the best. They were just... Unforgettable."

"Living with you has obviously been the best part of my life. I love you so much, have loved you from the start, and will love you infinitely, even after we die."

"I love you so much."

She leans in for a kiss before going to bed.

In the middle of the night, I feel her reach for my hand.

"When you say infinitely, do you really mean it?" She whispers to me.

"Of course I do. You're my everything, baby. You know that."

"To infinity."

"And beyond." I smile, knowing that these words will live out in both my life and hers.

************************

Just a quick goodbye-

Thank you to each and every reader, whether it was just chapter one or the whole book, it was so much fun to write for everyone. I never knew it would get over 2,000 reads! Although it doesn't seem like much, it means a lot to me. I will be writing another fanfic, Bruised and Confused, so check it out if you want. As always, thanks for reading!

~Jess